advertisement

Dynavector P75 mk4 and XX2mk2 settings

johnacurtis

pfm Member
Just wanted to ask if anyone has played around with different phono stage settings on a Dynavector P75 mk4 with the XX2mk2 cart. I currently use it in "phono enhanced" mode, but have played around with the settings and can hear differences, but only very minor!
Does anyone use the ordinary low mc cart settings with different loading etc.
I admit to know nothing much about gain, loading capacitance etc!

I have this cartridge and phono stage. When the stage arrived it was in conventional mode with high gain. It sounded fine but not very different from the built-in stage on my pre-amp. I changed to phono enhancer mode and it sounds a lot more like the Arkless GTI that also works in PE mode. For me a certain refinement and ease in the treble that is particularly beneficial on complex music near the end of side. If I understand correctly, once you are in PE mode changing the capacitance and impedance won't make any difference to the sound. The UK Dynavector importers can advise on recommended settings to try.

Dadgad, thank you! So basically, your saying that the PE settings is probably the optimum setting for this cartridge and phono!
I played around with mc settings and uping the loading settings seem to make the sound "thinner" towards the 470ohm.
Thanks, think I will leave it in the PE setting.

have played around with the settings and can hear differences, but only very minor!

The correct setting is the one that you prefer. As for differences, I neither expected nor heard earth-shattering ones. between settings when I had a P75 here, also with an XX2L at the time. I would suggest that if you think that there is significantly more to be had from your TT/cart', buy wisely second-hand another stage, SUT or head amp'.

In PE mode, you have a choice of cartridge DC resistance; low (4-10R), medium (10-20R) or high (20-50R). The XX2mk2 has a coil resistance of 6R, so the P-75 should be set to low R. I've read that using a medium R setting increases gain, and increase dynamic contrast at the expense of subtlety. It's an exercise worth trying and not going to cause any harm. FWIW, I use a Hana ML (7R) into a P-75mk4 in PE low resistance mode.

It was a P-75mk1 in PE mode that blew the Prefix out of my LP12 some 15 years ago. PE is the way to go with low resistance MCs.

Thanks all! I think it seems the enhanced mode is best, but could equally play around with the settings to see what sounds best to my ears!

James, yes I did! To my mind, it gave way too much gain, as in the volume was way higher than the low output mc cart, at the same volume control knob setting. It seemed to lose some "Depth" of sound and not quite the same amount of fine detail, but I guess you could say more dynamic sound.

James, yes I did! To my mind, it gave way too much gain, as in the volume was way higher than the low output mc cart, at the same volume control knob setting. It seemed to lose some "Depth" of sound and not quite the same amount of fine detail, but I guess you could say more dynamic sound.
That's good to know, John. I haven't tried a different PE setting than the recommended low R one for my 7-ohm Hana. I recall a reviewer who recounted a similar experience to yours.

advertisement

Back