advertisement

Dynavector P75 Mk3 or Naim phono boards?

Mr Magoo

Hello. How are you?
My system comprised the WTA Versalex with Dyna17D3 with NAC52/52PS, NAP135s In to Shahinian Obelisks Mk1. Would a change from the P75 Mk3 to internal phono cards on my 52 be an upgrade or a downgrade?

The 523 S type are the most suitable.

Thanks
Peter

If using standard Naim boards, it'll be a 'bit' of a downgrade. The combination of Dynavector phono stage and cartridge, especially in Dr. T mode, is pretty sweet for the price.

The P75 mk2 would be an upgrade, I much prefer it to the mk3 (have owned mk1, 2 & 3 versions)

The first vinyl I played through the 52was also the DV17 cartridge...it was bland and souless using the S boards. The K boards were MUCH better. But playback never really took off until the K boards were replaced with a Prefix K/ Supercap.

Nothing wrong with the P75 but I would give the Naim boards a listen if you can. They don't impress with upfront detail like some phonostages do but are good at rhythm and timing, work consistently well with all different kinds of music and recordings and are very easy to live with over long periods of listening.

It would be a big downgrade! A P75 will easily beat any Naim internal phono stage, stageline or prefix. All that tried my Arkless 640P against those Naim stages preferred the Arkless by quite a margin whilst all those who compared the Arkless with the P75 reckoned there was nowt in it between them..

Neither is an upgrade or a downgrade. It depends entirely on your personal preferences. The Naim cards major on the Naim "boogie" factor, the P75 srengths are on the so-called "hi-fi" aspects, eg soundstaging and the like. Personally, I'll take the Naim sound anytime. YMMV but if you have a 52 and 135s. I would guess that you'd like the Naim boards far better than the P75.

Malc

YMMV but if you have a 52 and 135s. I would guess that you'd like the Naim boards far better than the P75.

Malc

Especially if you can track down the NA523-2s - the later revision are really good in my NAC52. Good enough to downgrade from a SuperCap’d SuperLine in fact, for my admittedly limited vinyl requirements.

Last edited:
I haven't heard the P 75 in my own system but I have compared the Naim cards to the TEAD microgroove+. the Icon PS3 and my fave the Arkless Turbo +. The Naim boards do 'prat' and bugger all else due to the fact that, in comparison to any of those three, it sounds like you have draped a blanket over the speakers.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your contributions. I’ve been looking again at what the niggle with the sound might be. It occurred to me that I should check the service history of the Naim gear. The reply from Naim confirmed that the 52 and 52PS had been back to them for POTS8 and servicing. However, the 135s are a tad overdue on their recommended servicing schedule.

I plan to return the 135s to Naim (Class A) very soon for some much needed TLC. I won’t say how overdue the 135s are on their service for fear of embarrassment. I’ve had them 3 years and hadn’t confirmed their history until now.

Once serviced, I plan to revisit the phono stage issue again. All funds now being redirected.

Thanks again
Peter

Anyone know what changes were made to the 2nd version of the 523 boards?

Very little to look at them - electrically or in layout. It’s very possible the improvements I found were due to them being newly-manufactured, and that a freshly-serviced pair of 523/1 cards would be their equal?

I used Naim Boards inside my 82. Then had them removed, matched exactly to my cartridge and mounted in a separate enclosure powered by a HiCap. I then moved to a P75 v1 which was a substantial improvement. I then tired a WAD 2 with special valves, the Dynavector p75 v1, a Puresound p10 and Icon Audio PS1.2. The Icon Audio won by some margin to my ears.

Your mileage may vary. The p75 in DrT. mode was very good indeed.

Thanks for the pointer Mark. Will look at your suggestion once the 135s have received some TLC.

Peter

I found that the Dr.T mode is fabulous with very low impedance carts (<5 ohms). The standard MC setting is pretty much meh in comparison.

The MM stage (which I've reverted to for the time being with a Rega Exact) is a little flat as well. I was going to say that the DVp75 has greater flexibility than a single set-up stage-line but perhaps that flexibility isn't worth much beyond the DrT mode?

Just add that I love my DVp75 in DrT with a Lyra Delos (gone to a better place now....)

You probably don't need any more input, but to confirm many of the posts, I've compared Naim original MC (K) with RSL MC and DV P75 Mk1 in both MC modes, regular and DrT as they're calling it ("Phono Enhancer") and there's no comparison - the DrT mode blows away the others. It's like moving from the middle of the auditorium to the front row. I don't agree that you give up PRAT, either. It's better all the way around. That said, the prototype RSL "current mode" phono stage is even better, but that's for a different thread.....

advertisement

Back