advertisement

Dynavector L200 mk2 into Naim SN2

johnacurtis

pfm Member
Hello
Just wondering how to connect a Dynavector L200 mk2 pre amp to a naim supernait 2, using the naim as the power amp. Is it a din connector at the amp to two rca connectors at the pre? And connect to the SN2 pre out socket?
Anyone with any experience with this set - up?

John

My initial comment as a long time Naim owner and Naim Forum member is that I have never heard of this. I have heard of Supernait preamp out to a separate amplifier but never preamp into Nait. There are plenty of Naim experts here so we’ll both be educated shortly.

Cheers

Hi,

Best to give Naim a call, they are quite helpful.

However as above from the manual it looks like removing the Link Plug and using an RCA from the back of the L200 to the DIN socket marked power amp on the Supernait 2. Not sure what connection goes to the pre out socket on the SN2, maybe left blank?

Looks like the link plug connects the pre amp in the SN2 to the power amp in the SN2 so removing it as per the manual allows use of a different pre amp.

Am about to try something similar with an L100 into a 250, just to see how it sounds.

Flashback Sales will make you whatever cable you require once you find out from Naim.

Be interested in your findings.

Cheers

John

You could sell the Nait and buy a DV HX75.

I ran an L100 with a 250 for a while. It’s quite a good combination.

Yes the DV pres work well with Naim power amps , what you are trying to do is unusual , there is /was a DV power amp in the classifieds.

Not sure if an L200 would be better than the supernait pre anyway as weirdly the L100 is a better pre than the L200.

As above L100 with HX75 would sound much better IMHO.

(Ex Naim 202/200 and L100, L200, HX75 and HX1.2 owner)

Not sure if an L200 would be better than the supernait pre anyway as weirdly the L100 is a better pre than the L200.

I would broadly agree with this except the world of Dynavector is never straightforward. I think there are three variants of the L200. The first didn't have a remote but I think it had an onboard phono option. The second had remote control and an onboard phono option and was a nice preamp. The third is the current model which is like a shrunken L300 but has no phono provision. The third one is often described as a mk2 which is where the confusion creeps in.

Thank you all for your replies and comments so far.
My reasoning was to go to a dynavector pre and power from Naim. However, my local dealer is selling an ex demo L200 mk2 which I have bought!
Didn't realise straight away that I could in fact power it using my SN2. I have now been in contact with my dealer who says it can be used and just needs the correct lead to connect together!
Hoping that will then be similar to a dynavector pre used with a nap200 or 250 power.
When funds allow, would be looking to go to a 100w dynavector amp.

Not that weird. L100 was top of the range until L300. L200 released as 2nd tier but with modern nonsense like remote control - at least there was no display :)

I believe the SN2 power-section is very similar to a Nap 200, not 250.

That's my understanding as well it is essentially a single box 202/200. I owned a 202/200 and SN1 and thought the SN1 sounded better though.

And definitely the SN2 is miles away from the 202/hcp/200 I used to have!
Hoping the l200 will be "better" but may just be "different"!

The DV L200 has been connected to the SN2 and all very straight forward with the 4 pin din to 2 rca.
Yesterday, my initial thoughts were that it sounds very clear with maybe less pronounced mid bass. But the overall presentation was maybe a wider soundstage than the SN2.
I think it could be one of those that you don't quite know what it brings until you take it away!

The current L200 is a fine preamp and far far better than the preceding iterations.As stated a separate power amp is what you need.

Hello
Just wondering how to connect a Dynavector L200 mk2 pre amp to a naim supernait 2, using the naim as the power amp. Is it a din connector at the amp to two rca connectors at the pre? And connect to the SN2 pre out socket?
Anyone with any experience with this set - up?
I’d boot the Naim power amp so far into the ether such a over priced pile of crap

The dv pre is long gone! Replaced by a Townshend Allegri +, which was better than the SN2, and 272.
Still fancy a go with a p300 though.

advertisement

Back