advertisement

Dynatron LS1638

eastone

pfm Member
Anyone know anything about these?

Spotted a pair locally for £30, couldn’t get the grilles off for a look at the drivers before my other half reminded me how many speakers I have already.

Look to be about 20 litres, infinite baffle, nice construction and veneers... as good as Goodmans of the same era?

Can't speak to the LS1638 but we had a long Dynatron "radiogram" in the late 60s. Good sound for a "radiogram", decent components (Garrard LAB80 turntable, magnetic cartridge) for the day. Probably the best quality "radiogram" you could buy back then. They moved into separates in the early 70s. Bottom line would be how they sound to you.

These are a 3-way model, using what appear to be Wharfedale drivers; could have been built to order by Wharfedale. The tweeter is the old purple dome/cone unit that weighs circa 2lbs.

Grilles are likely hot melt glued on. The rear panel is removable and the drivers are mounted to the backside of the unfinished front baffle.

I used to have a pair of these. From what I remember, the bass was impressive, the treble less so. The rear panels screw on, so it's easy to have a look inside. The woofer was Wharfedale, I don't think I could see the other drivers, as they were in their own chambers.

Sounds like some effort in the construction then.

Are the drivers paper? I’m hoping they might be relatively easy to drive.

Interesting. We moved on from the Dynatron to.......... Wharfedale Super Lintons with the purple dome tweeter and 8" paper cone woofers!

I picked up these speakers in beautiful condition along with a transpower 90 amp and p100 turntable(goldring lenco gl75)and cp1 tapedeck all in mint condition, managed to get the covers off no problem just be careful they are just held in by a few staples ,cones are lovely and purple tweeters(gorgeous)​

I know someone who was Development Manager at Dynatron and he gave me a pair of prototype speakers.
They had Philips & Audax drive units, as I understand Dynatron and Philips had some sort of link up.
There were Philips crossovers, too.

They needed some work, as there was little filling it the cabinets and no gaskets
for the drivers.
I damped the cabinet walls and added some BAF filling.
The drivers were sealed in with RS silicone and proper rear terminals fitted.

They sounded surprisingly good.

I got a pair of grilles made by Traditional Radio Grilles ( Sid Chaplin ) as a pair of grille frames came
with the speakers.
They were eventually sold and the buyer was delighted with them.

advertisement

Back