advertisement

'Dying art of the photographic darkroom'

I loathed the smell and everything else with it …
But i cannot stop thinking that darkroom techniques applied to Photoshop (TM) is something the younger generation is missing, because they never mucked around with the chemical side of photography.
So today a lot of time is wasted trying to salvage failed pictures in Photoshop, nobody could have salvaged in a darkroom …
:rolleyes:
Michael

To really appreciate Photoshop you have to have processed film and prints for real - the more demanding the darkroom, the greater the pleasure from PS, ie converting the kitchen, or bathroom or bedroom to do some printing which added an hour or two to the session time compared to switching on the computer and starting up PS.

As for working with colour media I really appreciate the digital process.

I have to admit that I'm in the process of going back to doing some darkroom printing [not that I was ever expert at it], but black and white only. Colour printing seems such a faff in a darkroom.

2600x2600mm. I'd then like to slice it in half and put it on either side of a chimney, used as a real wall covering so not in a frame.

not sure yet but would be large, do you mean pixels or Mb's?

Still need to decide on the image but it would be an abstract one, maybe macro. Its to go behind the speakers so something musical - maybe

There is nothing like large black and white silver print on a top quality fibre based paper. I do both wet printing and dry printing on my Epson R3800. The 3800 is good, but scanned negatives (on my Minolta 5400 or even occasionally on a Hassy Flextight X5) do not print as well digitally as they do on silver. Sure silver printing is a phaff, but you feel like you're crafting something unique (which it is as every print is slightly different).

Charlie
www.charlie-chan.co.uk

Some people advocate printing on lith-film on a typesetter and then contact-copying the result to baryt-paper. The results are breathtaking albeit not cheap.
;-)
Michael

Charlie, yeah, this is my reason for planning to go back to silver printing. I get acceptable prints from my dSLR, but I find inkjet prints from scanned film is a bit hit and miss. Sometimes good, sometimes not, whereas I can get fairly consistent results from film with an enlarger [and I'm no expert]. I need to find a more compact enlarger first, though, the last enlarger I had was ancient and far bulkier than it needed to be.

I have been doing some contact printing from larger formats recently, and that's fun, but I much prefer using medium format or 35mm cameras.

advertisement

Back