advertisement

Durham university and surrounds?

Update on the Durham visit thread - probably now a pointless trip as my daughter has had an offer from Cambridge today, for what was her preferred course and location from everywhere we looked.

We haven't heard anything from Durham as yet, but if they do make an offer it will probably be similar to or the same as Cambridge, and so no use as the insurance option either. Bristol will therefore be the second choice, so we'll definitely be taking a trip down there in the next few months if possible.

Congrats and snap! My son just got an offer from Cambridge (to read English) too!

Congrats and snap! My son just got an offer from Cambridge (to read English) too!

Wow, excellent news, congratulations to your son on all the hard work he must have put in!

We finally heard from Durham today and they have made my daughter a relatively low offer (ABB), so she will probably be able to have Durham as her insurance choice after all.

I take it he plans to accept the Cambridge offer if the grades allow - what college will he be going to?

Thanks, and likewise for your daughter.

My son will be going to Clare college, grades permitting. He hasn't heard from Durham but I think he will put Bristol down as a reserve.

Nice avatar BTW, saw Galaxie 500 when they toured that album.

Cheers!

Amelia has an offer from Newnham, and grades permitting it looks like a great fit for her, and she can’t wait to get going. It’s a huge relief to finally know, one way or the other.

I never got to see Galaxie 500 unfortunately, as I only discovered them after they split, but I had tickets to see Dean and Britta play ‘On Fire’ in April 2020, that sadly hasn’t been rescheduled yet!

I know Cambridge well and it is nice albeit small. However, it doesn’t have the Angel of the North, the Transporter Bridge, Captain Cooks monument, Barnard Castle or the Pennine Way nearby.

I know Cambridge well and it is nice albeit small. However, it doesn’t have the Angel of the North, the Transporter Bridge, Captain Cooks monument, Barnard Castle or the Pennine Way nearby.

Very true and all are attractive, but it’s a big place compared to our current small north Essex market town and therefore not too much of a culture shock. The history and layout of the place and the structure of the course were all important in my daughters decision to apply, and future opportunities as well as the resources at Newnham also played a big part, the excellent library being just one.

It’s also only 45 minutes from home, and while this will probably be completely irrelevant and unimportant in reality, it is of some reassurance at this time to all involved that she won’t be more than 6 hours away.

We thought about the multiple comments earlier in the thread about how cold Durham can get - she doesn’t relish unnecessary and prolonged unpleasant conditions, and it wouldn’t make for a happy and productive student.

The course already includes a year living and working / studying in Germany, which was another major attraction. We have travelled to plenty of interesting places in the U.K., Europe and Asia, and she can do whatever she wishes after her studies, although I wouldn’t be surprised to see her stay on in Cambridge once the 4 year degree is up.

Very true and all are attractive, but it’s a big place compared to our current small north Essex market town and therefore not too much of a culture shock. The history and layout of the place and the structure of the course were all important in my daughters decision to apply, and future opportunities as well as the resources at Newnham also played a big part, the excellent library being just one.

It’s also only 45 minutes from home, and while this will probably be completely irrelevant and unimportant in reality, it is of some reassurance at this time to all involved that she won’t be more than 6 hours away.

We thought about the multiple comments earlier in the thread about how cold Durham can get - she doesn’t relish unnecessary and prolonged unpleasant conditions, and it wouldn’t make for a happy and productive student.

The course already includes a year living and working / studying in Germany, which was another major attraction. We have travelled to plenty of interesting places in the U.K., Europe and Asia, and she can do whatever she wishes after her studies, although I wouldn’t be surprised to see her stay on in Cambridge once the 4 year degree is up.

A downside is the rent prices in Cambridge, if you haven't already it would be wise to familiarise yourselves with the market, especially what might be available after the first year.

A downside is the rent prices in Cambridge, if you haven't already it would be wise to familiarise yourselves with the market, especially what might be available after the first year.

I might be wrong, but I think Cambridge students normally spend their entire time residing within the halls of residence at the college they've been admitted to. Good point about costs though — I'll have to read up on student finance. Until now I've been too afraid to dig into it, the car park fee in central Cambridge was already shocking enough.

Oxbridge students have a much much higher likelihood of being able to stay in University rooms for the whole time of their degree.

I might be wrong, but I think Cambridge students normally spend their entire time residing within the halls of residence at the college they've been admitted to.

That in itself is a point to consider carefully too re life experience etc. It's not for everyone.

I don’t know if it’s the same at all of the colleges but certainly at Newnham they stay in the college for the whole term of the course.

They get a basic room for the first year, then can choose better rooms in subsequent years, although the cost stays the same.

The accommodation costs include WiFi and all facilities, the only real variable is food - they can have all their meals provided or choose to cook pretty much entirely for themselves, although they are still expected to attend a certain number of formal dinners.

I might be wrong, but I think Cambridge students normally spend their entire time residing within the halls of residence at the college they've been admitted to. Good point about costs though — I'll have to read up on student finance. Until now I've been too afraid to dig into it, the car park fee in central Cambridge was already shocking enough.

Have you yet to discover the joys of the Park 'n ride? I took a friend on it once, a baronet more used to being chauffeured - well, occasionally, in his Toyota Aventis - he loved it as much as I do. Didn't stop talking about for months.

Get down there with the hoi-poloi, like moi!

That in itself is a point to consider carefully too re life experience etc. It's not for everyone.

I know what you mean. But my son is enthusiastic and seems to know what he's letting himself in for. It will certainly be a change from life in a northern town.

Have you yet to discover the joys of the Park 'n ride? I took a friend on it once, a baronet more used to being chauffeured - well, occasionally, in his Toyota Aventis - he loved it as much as I do. Didn't stop talking about for months.

I first tried following the Park 'n ride signs but it was further out than I expected. I had to give up as we would have been late! Will try again next time.

Speaking of alternative transport, my new goal over the next 3-4 years is to fly my paraglider from the Peak District to Cambridge. At around 180km, it's about 7 hours of flying. Bit of a long shot and would be a personal best, but it's do-able on the right day with a bit of luck.

The ludicrous aspect of Cambridge park and rides is the last bus back from Cambridge is 20.30 so useless if you are visiting for theatre or any other evening event.
At least the Oxford park and rides run to around 23.30.

The ludicrous aspect of Cambridge park and rides is the last bus back from Cambridge is 20.30 so useless if you are visiting for theatre or any other evening event.
Can be explained by the slower speed of life in East Anglia and certainly Cambridge compared with Oxford. Loads of places to park in Cambridge city centre at night so no need to faff about getting on the bus when by definition of using the Park and Ride one has already used their car to get to the city outskirts.

book a hotel - stay somewhere - relax...... we have regular (4 or 5 times a year) evenings or even weekends away in Cambridge....

Recommend taking a leisurely punt with Scudamores along the Backs on a hot summers afternoon where they tell you about Lord Byron, Prince Charles, Pink Floyd etc during their Uni time escapades.

I much prefer Oxford

we have no experience of it - apart from the traffic when i drove through without stopping a few years ago. Cambridge is on the direct train line from home - an hour or so and we are there. We discover new things every time we visit.

We have planned to visit Oxford, but it hasn't reached our event horizon yet.....

advertisement

Back