advertisement

Durham university and surrounds?

Graham B

pfm Member
Hi all.

I am heading to Durham with my daughter for a look around the university on monday. She is about to start 2nd year 6th form, and is looking at History and German degree courses in a few places.

It's a fair trek for us from essex, so we'll stay overnight on monday and head back on tuesday. I'm off work for both days so there is no particular rush to get up there and back. Are there any fishy recommendations for good places to see or things to do in the area? The only times I have been anywhere near Durham previously were just for overnight stays in Alnwick and Newcastle, both times on the way to Scotland.

Thanks in advance!

tree-sulpture-the-upper-room-durham-city-6b21792a-412e-474a-bba7-964539408456.jpg

93~1987.jpg

Used to be a fabulous sculpture called The Upper Room on the walk following the river....it was wood, though, so may not be there now. You sat in the hollowed out tree, as in the lower picture, on the left, then all the carving on the other trunks aligned, as in the upper picture.

Depends what sort of things you like but a visit to the city centre and cathedral would be high on my list but if you're going to the Uni you'll be there anyway !

Check out the colleges. Some are quite a trek from where any lectures would be held.
Two of my kids went to Durham university. They loved every minute of it.
In the end it’s what they make of it.

Last edited:
It felt like the coldest place on earth whenever we visited our daughter at Durham Uni.
She hated her time there.

My daughter really enjoyed her time at Durham Uni.

We really liked to visit Durham to see her.

In agreement with DoctorF though about the temperature, whenever we visited.

OTOH our other daughter loved her time at uni in Newcastle. And always seemed warmer there!!

Thank you for all the replies, that's really helpful and we are both most grateful. Beamish Museum and the cathedral will definitely be on the list, and we'll get to both if we can. The Upper Room sculpture looked amazing, but sadly it seems it has long been removed.

My daughter is not a fan of cold places at all, so I'll make sure to mention that. Average temperatures are definitely chillier than she is used to, and she really struggled to enjoy a trip to Iceland. Anything can be mitigated with knowledge and the right gear in advance of course. We're also booking a visit to the south coast and trying to combine tours of Bristol and Exeter, either of which I think she'll find more comfortable climate-wise. We also have family down that way who can help in case of any urgent issues or meltdowns, but wherever she decides to go will be determined on which is the right course for her.

I went to Uni there and it depends what you like but yes the cathedral is great, and you can go in the castle close by which has a very early Norman chapel. The walk around the river which follows the peninsula Durham is on is very scenic. Up near the science campus there are the botanical gardens and an oriental museum as well.

lots of characterful pubs such as the Shakespeare which have an old world charm. There is also a night club Klute run by Dominic Cummings relatives for evening entertainment.

Work in Durham regularly and although the last couple of years have been quiet up there with little open, it’s a pleasant place to stay… some decent restaurants too. Lumiere festival is normally a good spectacle in November

If you want an easy drive leave early, took daughter to Newcastle poly for a 09-30 visit from Colchester and had time to do an interview at Liverpool on the way home.

Lovely town, as above, if you see a Sam Smiths pub worth a stop for a pint.

We visited Durham city for the first time last September. We've already been back once, and I'm using it as a base for the Great North Run next month. Like everyone has mentioned the Cathedral is stunning, in fact we found it more interesting than York Minster and a cleric even took time to explain things to us, my dad apprenticed in Salisbury Cathedral so we had a bit to talk about. I love the city and it has a lot of regeneration is happening on the banks of the Wear to the North of the city. We stayed in the Radisson there, most pleasant. It can be a bit drunken at weekends, but which university town wouldn't be? Lots and lots of places to eat and drink with a truly international flavour. 15 mins from Newcastle by train.

Beamish is a fantastic day out and very interesting.
Great walking and scenery.
Like many others, we tested our eyesight at Barnard Castle.

Seriously thinking about relocating up there.

Nice place to be a student. Just watch where the timetable sends you. I examined a PhD there are few years ago. The student reckoned it was one of the most promiscuous student towns in the UK

Beamish Museum and the cathedral will definitely be on the list
You will have to book a time slot for Beamish due to covid restrictions at the moment,so check and book online.Excellent fish and chip shop ,cooked in beef dripping on a traditional coal fired frier ,thoroughly recommended and reasonably priced.
A visit to Seaham Harbour to see "Tommy" and the marina is good for an afternoon
ae4722f4569c6592a2deccd77cee4df6.jpg

Welcome to Gods country and I hope you enjoy your visit.

advertisement

Back