advertisement

Dummy load for valve amp on speaker cable?

Rug Doc

pfm Member
I have a valve amp that I would like to use occasionally, I would like to have the cables in place and be able to switch the speaker cables behind the speakers when I want to listen..

I understand that if the amp is powered on with the cables inadvertently disconnected it might damage the output stage, so can I put a resistor across the cables permantly so when disconnected there's still a load on the amp? Would doing this effect the loading of the amp enough to effect SQ and be audible?

No. You need it to switch the dummy load in and out as required. The obvious answer is don't switch on the valve amp when it's not selected by speaker switch.

Thanks Jez. I'm looking at some switching boxes, but they're hundreds of pounds! trying to see if I can do it a bit cheaper... All I want is a switch box, one set of speakers output, two amps in and a make before break switch with a dummy load for the vale amp when switched out..

Simplest thing to do is use a make-before-break switch, that way the amp always sees a load.

I believe it's a bit of a non issue in your case, because the effect of running without a load upon the power valves and OPTs is not instantaneous - it takes a short period of time for the OPTs to saturate and feed back enough HV to take out the power valves. A momentary disconnection while switching with a normal single-throw switch wouldn't be long enough to cause any harm.

advertisement

Back