advertisement

Dull Computer audio question

MVV

pfm Member
Hello Fish, having just bought a nice little amp and speakers to use with my macbook from a fellow PFM member. Yet another easy and courteous PFM transaction (Thanks Jason) As always there is a lead to buy before I can get it up and running so a question: am I best going mini jack to twin Phono or ESB to twin phono? I'm not convinced about a DAC at this level (Creek 4040 into KEF Cresta III) as my daughter's Macbook, AR A60 into diamonds sounds pretty good to me. However if you disagree and can suggest one under £50 worth a punt I'd be interested in your suggestions.:)

USB to phono you mean :p?

there are those Behringer UCA202 USB dacs that have phono outs, then you could use a normal cheapy phono lead and you'd have a DAC solution also, for around £25.

Thanks for your response Andrew. Not sure I understand. There are twin phono plugs on the back of the amp to take the signal input. I know a mini jack takes the signal out of the Macbook but remember someone saying the ESB out is better. I googled your suggestion and it looks like it takes the signal out via ESB then I will need two phono to phono connectors from the DAC to the amp? I think this was the cheap but good DAC serge recommended in which case for £25 I can't go wrong.

I can thoroughly recommend the Behringer UCA202. It's a no brainer at it's price!

The mini-jack to twin RCA (phono) would work perfectly well. A USB (not ESB!) to RCA is not possible unless a DAC is used. Having just received one from Santa I can also recommend the Behringer UCA-202. USB out from Macbook to Behringer - RCA to pre-amp in. The only problem I have with the Behringer at the moment is a little bit of ground hum breaking through from the USB connection. It's not much to worry about though for the price, and you may not even get the same problem.

Thanks all, sorry yes 'USB'. Pete, what if any difference was there between mini-jack to RCA and USB via 202 then amp?

I haven't tried it with a macbook. With my PC laptop it's a cleaner sound, with less background noise from the PC internals.
From what I've read on here though, the mini-jack out on a Macbook is supposedly very good, so I would just try that first with a mini-jack to RCA lead and see how it sounds...

edit: I would add that the settings on the media player/macbook can have as much influence on the final sound quality as much as hardware changes...

On my old mac mini the sound from the audio out is quite acceptable.

I would try a mini-jack to two RCA, set up the sound controls to optimum on the mac and see how you like that. It'll probably be quite good indeed. A decently made cable can be had for a fiver or so.

I can't really see an external dac making much of a difference unless you leap up a league or two with the speakers.
Good luck with it all. I think you'll enjoy it.

I would say a dac would make quite a difference,iv'e recently had excellent results(Suprisingly so!!) with my laptop connected via usb-a-/usb-b into the brilliant little Arcam R-dac!!!

My son plays music from his computer via a Cyrus One amp and Heybrook HB1 speakers. Before the HB1s he had Mission 760i. With that setup, probably reasonably similar in resolution to yours, it was easy to hear the benefit on an outboard DAC. He had a decent sound card in the PC but both Beresford and Fireston Spitfire DACs bettered it by a good bit.

Both of these DACs cost more than £50 though. How the Behringer one sounds I don't know. It might be a good idea to try and borrow a DAC or two to see what happens.

Maybe I can help a bit here. I have used many a UCA202 on laptops both Windows and Macs. Only on one was there any powerline noise. It turned out to be a faulty mains wiring problem. Some times changing the power brick can help. Some types are more susceptible to that kind of problem.

With a laptop it's easy to see whether the noise is related to the computer or to the power supply by disconnecting it from the mains and running off the battery.

Incidentally, the UFO202 is a very similar device, but with a built in phono stage which allows a record deck MM cartridge to be connected directly to the computer, for replay of records, or transcription to digital, as well as functioning as a DAC for digital files.

Also the UCA202 seems to have been superceded by the UCA222, which seems similar but with different software.

Check your options before purchase.

UFO202

JC

Any DAC will improve on the headphone output of the computer. The Behringer is cheap and easy to try: also (and slightly better) you might want to have a look at the Fostex PC100 and Musiland US-01 - both at £50.

not any, those chi-fi/valab/etc TDA1543 'NOS dacs' on eBay actually sounded worse than mt PC's onboard to my ears.

Still wouldn't get hung up on anexternal dac just yet. Get the mac up and running into the amp. Assuming you're using a lossless format the music will be enjoyable. When you can spare the funds for a good dac then off you go...

advertisement

Back