1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Duff motorised volume control

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by matt j, Oct 10, 2019 at 11:11 AM.

1. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Just had a quick look at this as the remote volume isn't working, it's sending a signal and I get 4.5-4.8v at the motor input so I assume the motor is kaput?

Any way to identify it and should it be fairly straight forward to swap? I have the service manual but I can only see what I think is a JVC internal part number so pretty useless, it looks very similar to the ebay link below.

Pics (click to zoom)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ebay link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alps-RK2...1ec05f71f3:g:wkwAAOSwKV9b7adc&redirect=mobile

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 2:31 PM
  2. peterm

peterm pfm Member

I used one of these from Rapid some years ago to replace a dud motorised volume pot on a NAC82, simple job and worked fine ever since.

Prior to that I had a similar problem with it and found the cure (for a while at least) was to re-solder the connections from control board to motor brush holders, vibration from the motor (presumably) had caused "solder fatigue" on some of the joints giving the effect of a dry joint. Some of the soldered joints in your photos don't look too great.

matt j likes this.
  3. peterm

peterm pfm Member

Just found my 2013 post on this by Googling "Volume pot on NAC82 no longer responds to remote", part of a shortish thread:-