advertisement

Dual WAN Load Balancing Router for home use?

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
All,

Anyone used one of these? If so, how easy are they to set up?

I have 2 ADSL circuits with 2-5 MBit/s each and figured I could devise a home network using a Dual WAN Load Balancing Router and some stuff I have knocking around to split LAN clients over over both DSL WAN circuits and use a single LAN instead of two as I do currently.

Plan is to use a netgear VDSL modem on one circuit and a BT Homehub as a modem on the other, run both WAN links into the load balancing router to allow the LB router to manage the LAN and LAN DNS and connect a gigabit switch and WAP for LAN connectivity.

I'll also be connecting a powerline network in to extend connectivity to the kitchen and living room.

Any thoughts?

cheers

I've never seen these - what a great idea!

Do you know what the failover mechanism is? I'm guessing they can't use link-state - are they set up to poll the next hop or something?

I've never seen these - what a great idea!

Do you know what the failover mechanism is? I'm guessing they can't use link-state - are they set up to poll the next hop or something?

I've no idea, and I doubt the documentation for the standard firmware will go to that level. I've now ordered this one to give it a go

I've no idea, and I doubt the documentation for the standard firmware will go to that level. I've now ordered this one to give it a go
Be interested to hear your opinion. I've done a fair bit of failover, load balancing and channel bonding over the years but the hardware has always been way more expensive than that TP Link. You probably know about DD-WBT firmware.

Yeah I had a quick look through the user guide and couldn't see anything. Looks like a nice bit of kit - a lot of functionality for £30.

advertisement

Back