advertisement

Dual turntubles

Ale79

pfm Member
Hi!
I was hoping someone might be able to offer some last minute help:
This afternoon I'm going to visit an acquaintance who is selling a vintage Dual turntable, does anybody know Whiche modella are worth buying and their rough values and which models I should avoid?
Thank you for your help!

I only know their budget models, like the CS505 which is semi automatic and not reliable over 25 years. I have one which eventually broke. You would be better with a Rega.

The cheaper models like the CS505 are not worth bothering with when you can buy a Rega. The more expensive models such as the 1019 are very good but, once again, don't sound as good as a vintage Rega. They are a thing of beauty and a joy to use though. I bought one last year and it's like a Swiss watch in operation.

The classic Duals are the idler drives, such as the 1019. They're better than the rest, but, frankly, if you want idler drives you'd be better of with the Thorens, Garrard or Lenco models.

It all depends on price... My CS 5000 has been reliable since its initial purchase in 1987 and is still in great shape although I'll concede that there are some better TT these days.

I'm with Eiffel, it all depends on price.

I picked up a 505-1 for £15.00, a definite bargain, particularly as it came fitted with an A&R P77.

Take a look at ebay for an idea of values.

I'd agree with those suggesting Rega at the budget level, or perhaps a Systemdek, then again you can't go wrong with a 505 for £15!

Back in the day when the 505 was new I had one of the rival Sansui SR222 players which was very good, then there is the Pioneer PL12D.

A Thorens TD 160 will floor them all!

I have a Dual 701 which a friend refurbished for me, with an Audio-Technica pickup. I use it into an A&R A60 integrated, and I must say that it works well, is reliable, and just the bottleneck of very old speakers (AR4x, 1972) keeps it from showing its potential.

Using >vintage< Dual or Japanese TTs (which seems to be becoming fashionable) is not the same thing as using a modern one, though, and perhaps expectations should be different as well as advice should be given to the OP according to his own desire, unless he specifies differently.

My opinion only.
M.

Had a Dual CS-604 for many years (a direct drive model) topped with a GA soundisc (glass matt), then a nagoaka 'crystal' mat (after I accidentally dropped the soundisc!) and was fitted with various cartridges-latterly an Ortofon FF15, If I recall correctly. Super reliable and I must have had it for 25 years, but then no belt to need replacement etc. My mate's got it now, and I bet he's never cleaned the stylus! which i recommended he change, for reasons of record preservation (not an audiophile!)
My other mate had a thorens TD160/ultimo 10X, and yes I thought that his set up was a magnitude better, but also there was no Rega dealer in my area at the time, and reviews of the 604 said that it was a 'legitimate competitor of the Rega Planer 3'
I'd now get a Rega or Pro-ject- the Genie's a nice sounding, good looking buget model. I'm presently making do with a Linn LP12.

Ok, i've seen the TT, it's a 1019, it seems in good working condition apart from the woodwork that could use a little refurbishing..
Any ideas of the value?

I'd agree with those suggesting Rega at the budget level, or perhaps a Systemdek, then again you can't go wrong with a 505 for £15!

Back in the day when the 505 was new I had one of the rival Sansui SR222 players which was very good, then there is the Pioneer PL12D.

A Thorens TD 160 will floor them all!
A mate still uses my old SR222 which I fitted a Rega cartridge to and is still working well after more than 30 yrs:) (bought from Comet along with a Goodmans amp and Speakers:eek:)

Ok, i've seen the TT, it's a 1019, it seems in good working condition apart from the woodwork that could use a little refurbishing..
Any ideas of the value?

No real idea of the value but I was quite happy to pay the £80 my one cost.

Try vinylengine or audiokarma for price info. Bear in mind that the 1019 often didn't come mounted in a plinth, and that will have an impact on price.

advertisement

Back