advertisement

DSOTM expert/nerdy help

The 'dual-layer' bit is misleading.

I was, as is often the case, talking bollocks - I meant the 30th when I was referring to the 25th! I'd forgotten the 25th which was the orginal mix cut to CD (quite badly) in a card box with post cards etc. I've never heard the 30th CD though I do have a copy of the LP.

Tony.

Originally posted by Tony L
I was, as is often the case, talking bollocks - I meant the 30th when I was referring to the 25th! I'd forgotten the 25th which was the orginal mix cut to CD (quite badly) in a card box with post cards etc. I've never heard the 30th CD though I do have a copy of the LP.

Tony.

I think you mean the 20th Anniversary edition. This was in a box along with postcards etc.
I've never heard the Supertramp thing before, maybe it's because I've never heard a MoFi pressing. At the end of side 2 of the regular pressing, in the fade out, you can hear a short orchestral snippet of the Fab's 'Ticket to Ride'. No one seems to know where this comes from.
Recently on ebay, an original UK pale blue tyriangle copy went for over £400!!
Gary

Originally posted by Martin M
Legend has it that when Mobile Fidelity were having their second go at a DSOTM LP, they managed to hit the wrong button on their tape machine and record a bit of 'Crime of The Century' on to 'Breathe'.

Ermm...I have the MF version and it is not polluted with any Supertramp...

It does however sound exceedingly good :D

Mark

Ermm...I have the MF version and it is not polluted with any Supertramp...

You wouldn't. The alledged 'dub' was fixed by dropping in a 'fix' from a copy master to cover-up Mr Hodgson's delightful singing.

Originally posted by GaryT
.... At the end of side 2 of the regular pressing, in the fade out, you can hear a short orchestral snippet of the Fab's 'Ticket to Ride'. No one seems to know where this comes from.
I've heard that rumour before - it's not on any of the versions which I have. Urban legend?

Originally posted by Martin M
You wouldn't. The alledged 'dub' was fixed by dropping in a 'fix' from a copy master to cover-up Mr Hodgson's delightful singing.

Given that at that time a master cutting lathe was usually fed by a single 2 track tape machine...???

Mark

I've heard that rumour before - it's not on any of the versions which I have. Urban legend?
It's there, under the heartbeats as they fade. You may need to crank the volume up during the fade out to hear it. For some reason I think it's in the right channel.

(Of course you need a high resolution system to reveal these nerdy nuances...)

Paul

Originally posted by Blzebub

Maybe you haven't enough Mana? Perhaps another phase or 2? Once you're up to snuff it will all snap into place:D
Gary (who even though he has no Mana can hear TTR on all his copies of DSOTM)

Definitely audible on my 'prism' copy with a '-9' matrix. Not at a sane volume level though - if you played the entire album at the level required to hear it clearly, you'd be too deaf to hear it, if you see what I mean!

Toby

Originally posted by Paul Ranson
It's there, under the heartbeats as they fade. You may need to crank the volume up during the fade out to hear it. For some reason I think it's in the right channel.

(Of course you need a high resolution system to reveal these nerdy nuances...)

Paul
Hmmm, well if it's inaudible at 'normal' volume, which is the level I listen at, ha ha, then it's a bit of a red herring.

Originally posted by Grenadier_45
Definitely audible on my 'prism' copy with a '-9' matrix. Not at a sane volume level though - if you played the entire album at the level required to hear it clearly, you'd be too deaf to hear it, if you see what I mean!

I'll try this on headphones later (original non-solid blue prism vinyl, and 20th anniversary CD). I bet it's more audible than the gleeful "wooo hey!!" behind the line "had a smoke" in "A day in the life" by the Beatles though ;) (also on "A day in the life" - have you heard the creaking piano stool and rustling paper during the chord of doom at the end??? ;)

BTW - Henryt and I did a little test with Dark Side CDs; out of the standard pre-20th anniversary edition, the 20th anniversary edition, and MoFi, the 20th was the best all-round for musicality and sound.

Originally posted by Blzebub
Hmmm, well if it's inaudible at 'normal' volume, which is the level I listen at, ha ha, then it's a bit of a red herring.

James

You need a 252.

Or a CDS3.

Regards

Mike

James

As far as I'm concerned the only bad thing about the 252 is how much better it is than the 52.

What bad things have you heard?

Regards

Mike

James

I did an A/B of 52 vs. 252 and bought one. In my view, it does everything better than the 52.

Being the discerning man I take you to be I think you should have a listen yourself. In particular, the noise floor is considerably lower and teeny sounds are now revealed.

Regards

Mike

I tried to hear it on my 1980's CD. There was hum, hiss AND something else, but no music was detectable to me.

When I grow up in the 1970's, DSOTM was THE test record in HiFi shops as it didn't have so much music to disturb the evaluation with, but instead lots of bells and whistles. Now it seems we are back to that stage again, and on a forum for flat earthers to ;)

JohanR

advertisement

Back