Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Dream deck?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Hook, Oct 15, 2020.

1. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

You must feel lots calmer now you have that of your chest ,
    And relax :D

Nagraboy likes this.
  2. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

Hi , as i posted the photo of the kuzma, but i want or would like to know is the readout on the arm piller -002 ?? and what is it for, what does it mean, o_O

3. Paul L

Paul L coffee lounge for me

Good lord, I’m sure that thing sounds great but if told guests it was a potty would they question it?

4. fegs

fegs pfm Member

Horrendous !!

Not sure of the need for a rebadged Mitutoyo DTI on the side either?

5. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

Dream TT: Technics SP10 MKIII with SME V12 arm
    Dream Phono Stage: Audionet PAM G2 with EPC
    Dream cart: MC

Reality: too lazy... FLAC is better.

Nagraboy likes this.
  6. chartz

chartz pfm Member

+1 for the Technics. Can it get better then that?

7. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

8. chartz

chartz pfm Member

I entirely agree, and pointless too. What a waste of materials and money. For pretentious oil tycoons perhaps?
    And belts? Seriously?
    I tend to think nowadays manufacturers use belts because they are just unable to produce real DD motors - or idler drives perhaps, which also need powerful motors of the kind Garrard and Papst used to manufacture.
    Belt drives are cheap to make!

fegs likes this.
  9. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I'm not saying there is. Merely that you're not saving money doing it that way. Probably the reverse.

10. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I certainly think was true for some companies. Linn could not have built a direct drive turntable in the seventies and the same was true for pretty much all of the UK turntable manufacturers at the time.

More telling is that they still don't. Could they build one today? Yeah, I think they almost certainly could, as could Rega and a bunch of others. But they don't, and even across the world very few do. In fact it's almost exclusively a Japanese thing.

11. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Manufacturer and Distributor

It's really got nothing to do with that. Belt drive turntables, if well designed, produce a lot less vibrations and reduce other design issues compared to DD and ID systems. You can get a good level of performance from DD and ID (Motus, Brinkman and Garrard), but if you are looking at state of the art performance then a proper belt drive system enables the best designs. Idler drive has its place but really no one has superseded the Garrard 301 & 401 design from the 1950s/60s. One or two manufacturers have got almost idler drive "drive" performance from their belt drive designs, it so close their performance is considered practically identical...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 12:30 PM
    Dozey and Woodface like this.
  12. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I think they all have strengths and weaknesses. I don't think the perfect turntable exists, you just pick the set of compromises you like the best.

G T Audio likes this.
  13. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

That's why I have several of them! 2 x belt drives, 2 x idler drives, 1 x direct drive.

14. chartz

chartz pfm Member

Yes, same here. I do prefer direct drives though.

15. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

I see the thread has turned from " Dream Deck " into a debate on other choices , Typical of internet forums

Mickdale, Hook and myles like this.
  16. chartz

chartz pfm Member

You are welcome!
    But seriously, it's just a discussion. Digressions are just parts of them.

17. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

And the problem is?

18. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

You have just read it prior to your reply

19. dave charlton

dave charlton pfm member

A Rega P9 (mkII), still my dream deck eighteen years on, no other deck beats it for looks imo. Performance wise I suppose a Planar 6 wouldn't be far away now. Understanding Rega's turntable philosophy though means a P10 would form part of my dream system.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 6:42 PM
  20. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Interesting how varied tastes are. I never liked the look of it, or any of the Rega decks with the wood surround. I'm not that wild about the looks of the RP10 frankly. You can sit it and P1 side by side and few people would dream that there was a three grand difference.

Nagraboy likes this.