advertisement

Dream deck?

Well, nobody's mentioned it; not even G.T., but for pure aesthetics with quality, the T.W. Acustics Raven AC takes some beating. Simplicity, elegant tricorn-like lines and that copper topped platter !

For sheer businesslike fugliness with a simplistic agricultural aspect, the N.A. Dais has it in heavy spades. Top quality sound platform though and versatile with it. For strong people only though or those with a hoist to lift the platter.

Sorry no pic's; haven't got round to solving that one yet.

Sorry no pic's; haven't got round to solving that one yet.
Have a go using postimage: https://postimages.org/. No need to host photos anywhere

Drag a picture or click onto the button Choose Images / Browse and find your picture

Next to the download original image button at the top there is a Share button

Copy the URL for the Hotlink for Forums and paste it into the PFM message

Have a go using postimage

Thanks Amber. That's a new one for me. Once I translate the digital speak I'll try that tomorrow. I'm easily confused and thwarted by these things. Used to use Photobucket, which worked some of the time and I built up a library but I was younger then.:). Change of computer and Windows doesn't help either.

Sony ps-x9 and Technics Sp1000R are the only decks I’ve heard and wanted to take home.

CTC Garrard 301 , with the solid brass player may usurp my original grey grease

I kept my Rock 2 and added bellows feet, the problem now is finding a belt that doesn’t take a set when it cools after a bit of use, the recent ones have been crap.

The Artemis and Schröder Reference puts it in the shade somewhat, or at least it did until the motor’s upper bush ran dry. 30 years and the Rocks motor is still going without a hitch but the brushed DC motor with a small diameter pulley on the Artemis didn’t take to continuous running so well. Probably repairable but since we’re in dreamland what could replace it?
I quite fancy trying one of Schröder’s LT arms and I want a high torque drive deck so EMT, or what else?
Reality is more likely to be Lenco based if the Artemis is a goner and use the Reference on it.

My brother has one of these, but minus the fancy stand. It’s a bit good.
I had an SME 20/3 but downgraded to a Rega P8, which also doesn’t get played much.

ContinLowRes01.grid-4x2.jpg

Not being very technical would give it to someone to modify , I had 2 used sources and loved the walk in soundstage and wonderful musicality (this musicality disappeared when using the spikes -worked better on the rubber feet for me ). I always thought it could have done with a tad more 'snap' at times so would look at the power supply (inspired somewhat by linn's radikal). I thought it sounded best with the pure sound copper mat but with the felt mat on top, gave better timing and the 5 springs coped well.
Thanks. I’m in the process of renovating a Source. I’ve had an MCRU power supply made for it and it’s noticeably better than the original 3D ‘coffin’. Haven’t played around with mats or feet. I imagine it would need some fairly beefy rubber feet given the weight?

I'm quite happy with the sound from the decks I currently use so my dream turntable perhaps just be a very cool looking one to replace the upgraded Project Debut that's in my living room system. A Michell Orbe or something like that.

Very shallow I know!

Not shallow at all. I have an Orbe. It is not only a fab groovy looker, but also the best sounding deck I've owned,partly because I've fitted it with an arm and cart. via a phono stage, which combine to make it work for me.. in my system.

P.S. Not much wrong with the Debut. A very fine record player of which I sold dozens in a former life...making many people happy. Just like the entry level Regas.. it gets the fundamentals right and blows away the cheapy plastic stuff. But.. put it against a better deck and you start to hear more detail, more authority, more bass power, etc.

I don't like overly trick or ostentatious turntables, or anything else for that matter. To me, the LP12 looks just about right. Nicely proportioned and has a look of solidity and quality without being at all showy. Nice product.

Which I'd also argue applies to the Orbe. Yes it's bigger.. in some ways awkwardly so.. but it also has a purposeful aesthetic.described as IIRC.. 'The Darth Vader' of TTs,by Hi Fi World.

I'm happy to concede that the LP12 is a beautifully compact and well proportioned deck which looks fab if well cared for. Mine was in Black Ash..which I liked, even if many went for the more 'poncy' real wood finishes. But. it didn't work for me as a TT. It was certainly no slouch in Cirkus/Ittok LVIIIMk2/Lingo1 mode and way better than most entry level decks, but it was also a pretty package disguising a whole bunch of compromises, backed by a ridiculous mythology.

Eh? I don’t think they have much in common construction wise. The Motus is a direct drive with a suspension system. I choose it primarily for its seemingly well implemented german engineering. As opposed to some oppulent oil rigs out there. I do like Rega’s design philosophy though having owned original Planar 2 and 3 and the P7 in the past. Wouldn’t mind a P8 or P10.
I was commenting on Motus's appearance only. It does look like a fascinating design though.

Not a fan of oil rigs or Heath Robinson affairs either, however good they might sound. For me, aesthetics are as important as performance.

I still like the idea of a Transcriptors Skeleton to drool at. Sigh - very unlikely to get that past the household budget police.
That is the route we followed, we had LP12 / ARO, with Meldano PSU and 24v motor, and it was sonically spot on. We realised that we had a lot of monet tied up in a part of the system little used and at the gateway to retirement. In my teens my dream was a Transcriptors Skeleton, and one came up on eBay. Deal done, PSU swapped over, Papst (Giro mk1) 24v motor fitted, lots of tweaking of the 'unusual' vestigial arm to accommodate my Decca London Gold, and I now own and occasionally use the deck of my dreams. Is it as good as a fully loaded LP12, I neither know, nor care, but it now has its own dedicated system and is a 'selling' point for our quirky AirBnB.

Not a fan of oil rigs or Heath Robinson affairs either, however good they might sound. For me, aesthetics are as important as performance.

Totally agree regarding TT aesthetics, I love the look of the classic turntables such as the LP12, Thorens et al purely for their simplicity and almost minimalist design.

Im a happy LP12 owner, but if I would start from scratch today it would be the top Rega model (what ever that is right now).

Roy is a clever guy, maybe one could persuade him to do a centering device like the Nak 1000? Ok, I can do it manually, but it's tedious. Very tedious.

BTW. Swedens answer to Consumer Reports, Rån och Röd, actually did a serious test of turntables the other year. Rega P1 won.

I was commenting on Motus's appearance only. It does look like a fascinating design though.

Got some interesting features the STST Motus, and as you say looks very understated- and one can have a choice of many finishes.:)

Swedens answer to Consumer Reports, Rån och Röd, actually did a serious test of turntables the other year. Rega P1 won.

It's ridiculously good value for money. Ok, the build quality is not fabulous compared to their better decks but sonically it's epic.

I find little surprise in so many of the Stereophile, TAS etc reviewers and columnists with amazing record collections, a deep interest in jazz, classical etc along with cheap/free access to pretty much any new deck on the planet ending up with either a TD-124, a 301, or both, as of course do so many very well heeled Japanese audiophiles. To my ears these turntables have just the right combination of strengths to retrieve exactly what a given record means and why it is such an amazing piece of musical art without overly dissecting it or turning it into a load of meaningless hi-fi adjectives. That ancient classic just makes music happen somehow and concedes nothing to the remarkably good £2.6k DAC sitting below it on the rack. It is certainly good enough and is a pleasure to use. I’ve done the rest (Linn, Roksan, Rega, high-mass, DD etc) and I’ve no itch to change trajectory again now. It is done.

Thanks. I’m in the process of renovating a Source. I’ve had an MCRU power supply made for it and it’s noticeably better than the original 3D ‘coffin’. Haven’t played around with mats or feet. I imagine it would need some fairly beefy rubber feet given the weight?
It was a while ago but I think I did use the original small flat rubber feet that were on one of the sources . Not as cool looking as the gold coloured spikes but to my ears possessed a musical note absent on the spikes which sounded more 'hifi' . All variable re supports etc (it was placed on an origin live tt support). Yes I also had a 'coffin' , I was lucky enough to own a Rock Reference many years ago and was surprised to hear that the Source had a similar stable soundstage with fine depth etc . Good idea re the MCRU p/s.

Dream system?

Probably a SSL 9000J with maintenance engineer on standby, PMC MB2S XBD monitors, something like that... :)

/edit : Dream deck... sorry misread - post op meds scrambled the olde brain

advertisement

Back