advertisement

Drawn to a sugden

Having owned or own a number of their amplifiers none of the A21 family will have any issues driving 96db speakers to a moderate level and beyond. I can't comment on the latest version or its phono stage as I have never owned one but the phone stage in the A21 and A21a are both very good in my opinion.

To answer a few questions:

Source is Rega Saturn
Tron amps are convergence (so AB)

I've had the NAP200 for a good number of years, changing speakers from Rega R3 (5? can't remember) to current speakers Quave LS1 led to dissatisfaction I think caused by inability to get volume past a notch or two. I also moved house 2 or 3 times during that time, so room changes also a factor

I obtained the Trons based on recommendations on here for sensitive speakers. Comparison with the NAP200 is simply because they're the two amps I have, and not because they are similar, or because I like Naim and want that sound.

Hope that helps :)

Silly question ... my Nap200 is 70w into 8ohm and I can hardly get more than two notches up on the volume dial with my speakers. Is there a way to predict the behaviour of a sugden or a rega based on their amplifier "class" or is it not that simple?

I had an IA4 for a while. Sounded excellent.

I moved it on because I couldn’t sell my Bryston at a price I could accept, BUT also because the volume control on the Suggie had the annoying “too loud” at 9 o’clock thing. That was into less sensitive speakers than yours. Obviously the 21 is lower powered, but…

With that said I’d like to try the latest 21 incarnation myself!

If you don´t like the volume control sensations - I´m thinking of the 96dB speakers - just fit a pair of Rothwell attenuators between your interconnects and the amp input. With these in place, you´ll get normal volume at 12 o´clock. I use them with my A21SE and 88dB speakers and control/peace of mind is much better.

If you don´t like the volume control sensations - I´m thinking of the 96dB speakers - just fit a pair of Rothwell attenuators between your interconnects and the amp input. With these in place, you´ll get normal volume at 12 o´clock. I use them with my A21SE and 88dB speakers and control/peace of mind is much better.

I did try attenuation with my nac82 and nap200, and even that didn't work for that combo. But yes I tend you use attenuation from CD players as it opens up the sound and allows a bit more control volume wise.

I'm currently auditioning new amplifiers for my proad d2's. I've listened to a rega elicit r, naim xs3, naim supernait 3, sugden a21, primaluna evo 400. In terms of sound quality and value for money, the sugden a21 is winning so far. I auditioned the sugden next to the primaluna and there wasn't much in it tbh. going to listen to the a21se next to see how that compares to the normal a21.
but yeh, you should listen to one if you can. it does get very hot.

I'm currently auditioning new amplifiers for my proad d2's. I've listened to a rega elicit r, naim xs3, naim supernait 3, sugden a21, primaluna evo 400. In terms of sound quality and value for money, the sugden a21 is winning so far. I auditioned the sugden next to the primaluna and there wasn't much in it tbh. going to listen to the a21se next to see how that compares to the normal a21.

Sounds like a good amount of research so far. What did you like about the Sugden compared with the Naim and Rega if you don't mind me asking?

Sounds like a good amount of research so far. What did you like about the Sugden compared with the Naim and Rega if you don't mind me asking?
I didn't listen to the sugden next to the naim and regas so it's not a perfect test. but I preferred the tone on the sugden, I'd say a tad richer than than the naim and rega amps. I also didn't think the sugden lacked on pace and rhythm. I listened to electronic, techno music on the sugden and it coped with it well imo, at no point did I think it sounded or felt slow. I also remember not enjoying my John Martyn album on the naim amp but liking it a lot more on the sugden.

Big up for original A21a, I used with LV Audtorium to magical effect. Overwhelmingly musical!
Phono stage is a excellent starter, easily the match for some £500 standalone units.

ProAc D2, what a wonderful speaker !
I almost bought a pair a few years ago. I gave them a shot with a Sugden A21se which really made them sing and then with a Supernait 1 which really made them rock.
Didn’t buy the speakers but went out of the dealer with a Supernait !
But eh, I'm a rock fan so it may have biased my choice.

I auditioned the Sugden next to the Primaluna and there wasn't much in it tbh. going to listen to the a21se next to see how that compares to the normal a21.

Can't imagine that the Primaluna runs cool either, but the Suggie being in a box exacerbates the impression of heat, I guess. Interesting that you didn't discern much difference between them, as I'm thinking class A (Sugden power, probably) when I get fed up with too many valves.

A21a sounds better with lid removed, had mine breathed on by definitive, bypassed balance control, speaker posts replaced and some kondo wire used on internals. Didn’t replace any components as did want to change musicality.
Was better for peanuts, was shocked at diff removing lid made, better heat dissipation I assume.

Big up for original A21a, I used with LV Audtorium to magical effect. Overwhelmingly musical!
Phono stage is a excellent starter, easily the match for some £500 standalone units.
Yeah they’re a real gem of an amp. Music just sounds right.

A21a sounds better with lid removed, had mine breathed on by definitive, bypassed balance control, speaker posts replaced and some kondo wire used on internals. Didn’t replace any components as did want to change musicality.
Was better for peanuts, was shocked at diff removing lid made, better heat dissipation I assume.

Doesn't it get full of dust?!

I used to put piece of wood on top when not in use, later fitted plywood lid with standoffs and holes to give inch gap. Still sounded better, I think the original metal lid vibrated when in use.
Inveterate tweeker, ocd to the max.
also found A21a liked electrofluidics 20/20 cabling or Townsend Isolda.

Yeah right....

Snake-oil.

S.

Snake oil was supplied free by definitive, I bow to Kevin’s experience selling sugden for decades.
Peter his engineer has been using modded A21p for twenty years.
No point in arguing, we all agree amp is a musical marvel, grab the one on wigwam quick, with phono it’s great value.

advertisement

Back