advertisement

Dr Who Flux

cutting42

Arrived at B4 Hacker Ergo
Anyone watching?

I abandoned regular Dr Who watching during the very disappointing Peter Capaldi era and don't really like the current incumbent Jodie Whittaker very much either so the start of the new series passed me by. My wife has always enjoyed them and stuck with it and I sat down a few days ago to watch part 2 of Flux with her just as I had no better excuse and then stayed sitting to watch part 3 (catchup). I mean it is still a bit daft but I do like the (confusing) story and am looking forward to the rest of this series.

A tentative return to form???

Thoughts from the pfm massive?

I have no huge issue with utter tosh. The ‘professional Scouser’ comedian (forget his name) irritates me, but what I watched was ok. I think I’ve got the last two episodes to watch. Far too much running around as ever, but it is what it is. I’ll likely watch the last two episodes at some point, though I do have an irritating habit of watching three quarters of TV series and then not bothering with the end as I don’t really care what happens. I’m the same with films, I start way more than I finish.

I thought it was a sad mess. Too many plot lines, too many characters, too much running around and gabbling to hide the fact that none of it made any sense. I think Jodie Whitaker has been a good Doctor, there have been some good episodes in the past couple of series because they (Chibnall etc) went back to straightforward stories told in one episode without the baggage of a "story arc" and she deserved better. Wonder who will be the next Doctor?

I haven’t watched Dr Who for years, but as it’s sci-fi, stuff like ‘realism’ and ‘credibility’ are somewhat beside the point. It’s always been more than a little tongue-in-cheek, so taking it seriously is also missing the point. Anyway it can’t be as bad as Mrs Brown’s Boys, or Strictly Come Dancing.

Not interested in it with Jodie Whittaker as her character doesn’t work, the doctor needs an element of menace and unpredictability about themselves and Jodie is just bloody annoying along with the rest of the characters, I thought Peter capaldi was ace.

It is a kids show after all so I doubt the bbc pay much attention to the whining of a mid 40’s something.

It's a kids programme, though plots depend on the various writers I thought that some Capaldi episodes were proper SciFi, and appreciated.

I thought Capaldi was one of the better Doctors. There's been some drudge before and most certainly afterwards.
One I particularly disliked was Colin Baker with Peter Davidson giving him a close run.

...and then there was Sylvester McCoy (shudder).

I rather liked Capaldi too - I thought he was the closest in many ways to Hartnell.

I hadn't watched it since I was a kid but I did have a look at the Jodie Whitaker series because my nephew had been going on about it. I have to say, it's been completely ruined by Chris Chibnall. I believe that Whitaker said that she never watched it when she was growing up and had no knowledge of the character and needed to binge watch the series. Chibnall told her not to because he wanted her to bring a fresh approach to the Dr. So instead of having a character who is confident, decisive, outgoing, charming and quirky in a way humans are not, we have a Dr who is nervous, awkward, and neurotic. I quite like Jodie Whitaker but she's fighting a loosing battle with this script, and I don't think she was ever the right person for it. As an example of a great female Dr, Michelle Gomez was superb. No the actual Dr, but still a Dr.

The supporting characters also seem to be made out of wood. Why have so many of them? They only seem to be there for the occasional plot update.

I really don't like Jodie as the Doctor. It had lots of promise and I really welcome a female lead but she's annoying, so I haven't watched the latest series. It needs someone as enthusiastic as
Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock in the role. Sky at Night meets Dr. Who - "Let's just go and visit that galaxy up there.."

Hopefully it'll return to form with Russel T Davies back and Bad Wolf at the helm. I'm also secretly hoping I get to play a part in it as I work for the people who've just bought said production company.

Russell T and Tennant matched our kids Whovian period and were excellent IMO. Will watch his reboot and see...

It all went downhill when Russell T Davies left. Jodie Whittaker's delivery is altogether too frenetic and breathless which annoys me. The Flux was garbage.

I gave up on Dr Who mid-way through Matt Smith's run. I still occasionally tune in, but that John Bishop is terrible. Drawling his lines with a delivery that has as much life as a dodo's turd.

I don’t think Jodie is the best Dr, but she is very far from the worst! Best of the reboot-era were Tennent and Capaldi IMO, and by quite some margin.

advertisement

Back