advertisement

Dpa Pdm1 Series 3 Dac

Sorry guys, I'm an infrequent visitor with a very bad memory and had (once again) forgotten all about this thread. I'm now used to the 845 SET sound. Brightness and glare aren't really present at lower volume levels, so my suspicion is that the SETs are having problems driving the SFs and dynamic range issues etc. I'll eventually replace the SFs with some horns (probably self made Sachikos). Remember the SETs are only 26w max. so I strongly suspect that they're simply running out of steam driving the SFs at reasonable SPLs. Not an uncommon issue with SETs it seems.

preamp - back to using the Audiolab 8000c as the left channel on the Yaqin died. Seems to be a common issue, so I can't recommend that amp at all. Stay clear, seems to have very poor reliability and QA. SystemDek has been replaced by a Clearaudio Champion Level II deck.

preamp is due for a change and I think I will try a StereoKnight Silverstone B&R tvc preamp - getting very good reviews and a friend who has one in Melbourne speaks very highly of it. Pricing is very reasonable too. Input/output matching between the StereoKnight and 845s should be OK too. Said StereoKnight does not have a phono stage, but I'm looking at a RCM prelude IC phono stage eventually. I'll hunt for a cheap fix until I can afford the more expensive RCM unit.

Oh, and the Naka has been repaired (I also picked up another naka - bx200 unit 2 head unit!). I posted on a Nakamichi yahoo group and came across a gentlemen who used to repair nakamichi units. He has a replacement motor that's 100% compatible. Wasn't cheap, but paid for it, got it delivered, had my local tech replace old motor with the new unit and viola! I can't detect any difference in SQ between the old motor/new motor unit.

Long term goals - Reed 2P tonearm (or Durand Talea) with an unknown at this stage cartridge. I'd like to go with Lyra, but their lack of replacement styli support for older cartridges is disturbing to be honest, and I refuse to financially support companies that have this sort of behaviour. A pity, cos I like the Lyra sound, although I believe their newer range is not quite as well balanced and a bit brighter.

Tuner will be replaced by a magnum dynalab unit sometime in the future too, although that is not critical.

I'm building a system that will improve SQ and last the rest of my life ;-)

You can see some piccies of my system over at my flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidpastern/sets/72157623639452629/

Dave

PS I forgot to mention - Tom (ex DPA) is a wonderfully helpful and friendly guy. A credit to support techs the world over imho.

Hello gents,
I know this quite old now, but is there any one with internal pictures or even schematic? Maybe you Martin?
Thank you!

advertisement

Back