advertisement

Downsizing to P3ESR, LS3/5A or similar?

Do you know the technicalities of capacitors ?
The materials and construction?

Yes, but you can easily google it. Film caps should be very stable stable long term, but electrolytics definitely need reforming after a while and can go off just sitting on a shelf. Think of them almost like batteries, it is a vaguely similar chemistry. All very well documented and a key reason why you shouldn’t just box, store and forget electronic gear, it keeps far better if it is used now and again. I have a lot of stuff sitting around but I make sure to fire it up every year at the outside. It is also why you should bring very old kit that has been sitting unused for a long while up on a variac. Obviously this doesn’t apply to a new pair of speakers, but I’d still expect them to improve noticeably subjectively over the first few weeks of use for a variety of reasons.

I have auditioned about 2 dozen bookshelf speakers and it really depends on each setup. I really enjoyed Sonus Faber Guarneri driven with |Jeff Rowland model 2 DC current amp. The Rogers LS3/5A with vintage McIntosh MC240. ATC SCM10 with vintage Lafayette KT550. Out of all the ones I tried and listened to, the ATC SCM10 was hard to drive at first. I was a big Solid State amp guy back in the 90s until I discovered tube amps after I listen to my friend's setup. My long journey with the ATC SCM10 has gone through Classe / Krell / Bryston .. and they didn't really sound that good to my ears. I started out with MC240 then I realized that it didn't have enough juice to drive it. I then discovered the Kafayetter KT550 and they were a great match together. The truth behind the bookshelf is stability. The dead solid stand is a must. Sonus Faber came with its own stand which made the speaker sound superb. I have the best Tangent 21 inch ( wish I had gotten the 24 ) then I added 4-inch solid aluminum blocks below the stand. Placement is another equation involved. Bookshelf speakers need a solid wall behind them to bounce the bass back.
Recently I fired my gears again after being absent for over a decade. I noticed the modified Dynaco ST70 ( VTA board ) made the ATC SCM10 sing really well. A lot of us can make mistakes along this high-fidelity audiophile journey. There is a lot of knowledge to learn and trial and error experiments were done to make music sound better. I have done enough shares from modify/build preamps/amps/speakers/cables/CD players/stands.. to test out different tubes/technologies.. just to enjoy the music a little better. The speaker's sound "HiFi" and not musical is how you do the playback. Not all equipment is made the same way and tweaked the same way. We need to first identify the source of the problem, making adjustments first before making a judgment about something.
My recommendation to the original poster is to try it out and don't jump the gun. You need to know what amp can match well with the speakers you are about to buy first. You also need to consider the space you have and place the speakers properly.

advertisement

Back