advertisement

Downsizing suggestions

kwmason

Won Ton On
Over the past few years i have been on a great journey after ditching Naim. I went on the dynavector, shaninian well-tempered route and found the entry level fantastic, due to having the funds I ventured up to hx100,L300 mk2, obelisk 2's and always loved the sound at every level. I even put my toe into the allnic valve camp and loved that too, plus a garrard 301 with 12 PU7 custom arm.

Over the last 12-18months my business has just gone silly and i find myself working 7 days most weeks and not listening to my hifi, I don't want that much money tied up until i get more free time to enjoy it.

I am thinking of going back down to Dynavector L200/HX75 and shahinian arcs, I've been there and found it very satisfying. I could live with that level of investment for the amount of use it would get currently, but before i do i'm open to suggestions, i love the shahinian/dynavector sound, my first valve experience with allnic was also brilliant plus my idler deck so this gives clues to my ears.

i will probably stay with my well tempered deck but again, open to suggestions to reduce the investment in hifi until my work life balance gets better

Densen? vintage? devialet is cheap if i consider i don't need phono stages, multiple boxes or inter connects?

Hit me with your suggestions and experiences

KM

I went from Naim DAC/252/300 - six boxes on two stacks of Fraim to a Devialet. Cheaper, simpler and no downsize in quality. Its great for hassle free enjoyment of you don't have the time to be swapping interconnects, putting power leads on little spikes and all that stuff ;)

I use Teddy Pardo amps with NVA speakers. I think it's wonderful and both manufacturers have a no questions asked returns policy. A Teddy integrated plus a pair of cube speakers might be a solution. NVA do a stupidly good pre/power for £300 yes £300. Not sure if they still make cubette speakers but that's an amp and speakers for less than £500 (you will need to add the cost of stands).

I'm a fan of Teddy and NVA but let you ears make the decision - not mine.

Good luck with your search.

I think once you've taken the time to build a system you like then you might as well keep it. If you're temporarily not able to use it much then that part should hopefully change, and you can then fit in more listening time. It would seem like a bit of a waste to keep changing your set up every time your life changed. Alternatively perhaps the current system is not delivering enough for you to make the time to enjoy it. If the TV regularly wins out then may be look to get something that allows you to connect better with your music?

I know there are some people who need to keep changing their systems and that seems to be part of their enjoyment, and I guess just buying and selling used kit is a good way of doing this.

I'm also considering a downsizing exercise and have been looking into Sonneteer's offerings.

I went from nap 252+Nap 200 to EAR 868L (not inexpensive, mind) + Sugden P28 (old but sweet-sounding - and cheap until I get some real time to finish my FirstWatt F4 build.) + Ayre Phono stage (s/h):

puresound integrated amp / EAR 834 + good s/h power amp of any well-reputed brand (for example, but certainly not limited to, Naim Nap 200 - no, I kid you not) / Kits updated "Naim" preamp + good s/h power amp / ... (see above)

+ a good integrated amp from a lot of good brands (see above).

Good luck - and try to get to listen to a lot of kit before you jump the gun, it will make for great fun and relaxation!

Like you I have 'downsized' moving from a maxed out LP12 (Ekos 2, circus, Lingo 2, Akiva era) Naim 52/Scap/250/ TEAD Microgroove + to an Amadeus GTA/ Ortofon Cadenza Blue/ Arkless turbo/ NAD M3 integrated. Ditched all the fancy and expensive stands and cable too.

Only the Neat Vitos (SE with ultimatum drivers) survived. They seem to like the more powerful amp.

Now I know aural memory is not great but if I had to guess the new rig is both more modest than the old one and sounds better too.

I have downsized over the last 18 months. My current system sounds better than the one I started with, probably at one third the cost. Current system is Aries streamer, mDAC+, Hattor passive pre, Quad QMP, Harbeth SHL5+. Mogami Quad XLR and cheap speaker cables.

Definitely look at NVA. I was always very happy with Obelisks but now use Cube 3's and think they're fantastic. Good phonostage, which can be upgraded with power supplies, and a range of amps well within your budget, and a 30 day no quibble return. Whats not to like.

Downsizing only works if you buy / sell used equipment. Having bought new after you factor used selling prices you may as well keep what you have.

I'd definitely not change. You have an awesome system and as long as you don't need the cash, why downsize? I don't listen to mine that much as i have young children but when i do it's particularly rewarding.

The present Devialet Expert line is currently being upgraded to Expert Pro. This involves improving the amp (for the D-200 the power goes from 200 to 220wpc, hence the new label D-220), DAC, streaming capability and a couple of other things I can't remember.

These upgrades aren't cheap for existing owners (4,000 euro I believe) and requires sending the unit (s) back to France to have them fitted.

Because the 200 has now been rendered relatively obsolete by the 220 upgrade, you might be able to pick up a used 200 at a bargain price.

I was perfectly happy for 20 years assembling and living with a decent Naim combo. Attended a good few Wam bake offs over the years and heard many 'Emperors new clothes' systems and still nothing persuaded me to ditch Naim. Maybe it was the constant domestic 'does it have to be so many boxes' earbashing but I took the plunge this year and went French. Managed to blag a home demo (essential imo) and am now grinning ear to ear with some Devialet kit. The configurability and sheer freedom to use is a refreshing experience.

I hadn't considered NVA or the JVC AX, cheers and ref your points on may as well keep it, I agree BUT i can put the surplus funds into helping the business achieve its goals quicker so i could use the cash productively. Then when i have free time (and its not the TV that wins out TPA) i can re asses.

Think i would like to audition: NVZ, JVC and Devialet

First i need speakers to play them through :)

Why not simplify and get an active system, like ATC or Dynaudio or AVI? Just add a good preamp with phono stage and possibly a built in DAC.

advertisement

Back