advertisement

Downloads

Bairnstorm

pfm Member
I bought a couple of albums from Burning Shed recently and neither came with dowmloads. I emailed them and they replied that they stopped providing them as there was little demand.

Is this true? Am I the only one who uses the downloads?

I don't do streaming and I find them useful so I can play in the car and out and about.

A lot of the other labels include them such as Provogue and even Steven Wilson's To the Bone had one.

Interested to hear what others do.

Cheers

Unfortunately it's unusual to get a download code with physical content today. Must say it annoys me. I don't stream music.

I seem to get quite a few downloads with albums. What irritates me is when they are just mp3 as I never use those.
Some of the vinyl I have bought has come with a CD included so I just rip that.
Buying from aritsts that use Bandcamp is great as you can have any format you like usually.

I always use the download code if the vinyl has it as the digital system is used way more than the vinyl one. I just like to support artists where I can by actually buying their music rather than streaming, hence having lots of vinyl that rarely gets played!

Annoying when they are just mp3 though

I always grab the download that comes with the vinyl but rarely ever play the download…I mostly forget what I’ve got.

This irritates me too. Much as I love listening to my vinyl, for practical reasons I mostly listen to digital via my squeezebox. I don't stream becasue I have enough trouble keeping up with what I buy, I don't need access to more music! Maybe it's becasue of my somewhat leftfield tastes, but most of what I buy on vinyl has a download, bandcamp mostly, but when it doesn't or it's MP3 I'm afraid I refuse to pay for the same music twice, so I google whatever it is, and will usually find it. I don't think there's much of an ethical problem here if you have bought the music. I do vinyl rips too - as a bit of a last resort, but that's rather tedious.

Often buy DL from Bandcamp and always grab FLAC or WAV dl when I buy viny - play through my SBT on the hifi, via the laptop to desktop actives or copy to phone for car or work office listening

Don't mind the MP3 as I use the download on the beach or on the tube or in the car. The car has a Meridian system that only plays MP3' s or apple equivalent. No highres or lossless.

@Bairnstorm

I use downloads if they come with an album.

I also buy specific records that amazon supply with a download via amazon music.

I stick them on my iPod Classics, and then I can listen to them in the car, or on the kitchen system, or even on holiday sometimes.

If the album is something I really like, I may purchase the c.d. and the record. They usually sound different, but rarely in a bad way.

Like you, I do not subscribe to any streaming services. I like physical media.

All too occasionally, a vinyl LP arrives here with a hi-res download voucher. Off the top of my head I can think of Paul Simon’s “Stranger To Stranger”, the last Underworld album, the Nick Drake reissues and the 2LP reissue of Prefab Sprout’s “Jordan: The Comeback”. This is a happy occurrence.

advertisement

Back