advertisement

Don't keep hifi projects at work just incase you have a fire

kwmason

Won Ton On
Hi all,

Hifi, it's addictive - if you have an addictive personality but a busy work life all the projects you buy because you just want to own, admire, enjoy and listen end up sat in boxes until the day you get time. I have amassed a few boxes and had to keep them at my office/factory as i had no room at home.

I had started recently to find a bit of time and had ordered a new plinth for a Thorens TD124 but i still had to play with and enjoy:

Townshend Rock Mk1 - with surround plinth & lid
Gerrard 401
Gerrard 301
Quad 33/303/tuner
Leak 20/2 x tuners/1 x preamp
Linn L12
Linn lp12 plinth and top plate
Linn LP1 plinth
Teak 80's TT
original boxes for my home set-up plus a few accessories etc

Never again, as my premises had a tragic fire last week destroying most of the building. If you see me on this site buying up items remind me that if i cant listen to it straight away i don't need it. We don't need collections and excess possessions.

I have to go into the building this afternoon and i know the room the Linn's, Thorens & boxes etc where in is gone and they have burnt/melted. My office suffered heat and smoke damage so i'm awaiting seeing what hasn't melted in their, who knows as my 301 was in the original homemade cabinet it maybe salvageable.

Sorry about this post but its a little bit of therapy for me. Oh anyone want to buy a Thorens TD124 plinth when it arrives?

Sorry to hear about your fire, but I trust nobody was hurt and nothing irreplaceable lost, or business disrupted too badly.

That's a shame, lots of nice things gone. Hope everything works out with insurance etc.

That's awful:(

Probably not much help but there could be some of it worth saving if only for parts etc... obviously depending on just how hot it got. Garrard motors, Leak St20 output transformers.... possibly entire St20.. possibly 303.. just thinking in terms of what was most solidly made, out of mainly metal, and most likely to have taken the heat for longest.

Sorry to hear about the fire. I hope it hasn't disrupted the flow of gin too much and it all gets sorted soon.

It's just a few boxes. You're lucky you dont have to worry about Linn upgrades anymore. One could argue it's like burning cash anyway... .

Bad jokes aside, no one was injured, that's what matters.

That’s a nightmare and im guessing insurance would only cover a very small portion of the replacement value. I often have stuff at work to work on , far more convenient than having it at home but not good in situations like this. As others have said, you are ok and that’s what’s important - it’s just stuff that has been damaged, all be it expensive rare stuff.

personal belongings - only covered for £500, and my home insurance covers portable items taken out of the house, which i don't think includes hifi

Always a little sad to read of somebody losing hobby related things. It is not quite like collecting for the sake of collecting after all.

The most important thing would be human injury all the same.

I am very much for disposing things not actually in use, but that is me, and no judgement on other people.

Best wishes from George

advertisement

Back