advertisement

Don Rendall Ian Carr reissues

I've just received 'Dusk Fire' and 'Live'. I'm only half way through side 1 of 'Dusk Fire' but I've already ordered the rest of the set from Juno. Ess Muss Sein.

It is recorded very low, so I can imagine it could sound lacklustre if phono stage and/or preamp gain are even a little bit low. You certainly do need to turn this one up. But it's sounding lovely to me; intimate, organic, with convincing, if relatively restrained, projection on the solos.

I'm not sure it would be wise to do a direct comparison with the Hi-Res (I didn't need to before pushing the button to order the rest), as I've recently changed to a hybrid phono stage, and the sound signature is rather different to my DAC. I'll hold off comparisons until I've got a full handle on that difference.

EDIT. Perhaps speaking and acting rather hastily, since I'm noticing that end of side distortion is rather higher than I'd like on Dusk Fire, but this is partly a symptom of the low levels. It's testing my tonearm a bit.

I agree that you need to advance the volume control for this to make it come alive. I need a setting about 3db higher to get the levels that I was referring to earlier. These at about 9ft from the speakers.

Playing Dusk Fire at the moment. Streaming 96/24 from Qobuz to a Hugo TT2 & Sennheiser HD800S 'phones. Simply stunning. I've got this on CD and never fully appreciated it before. The sound is really dynamic - if the vinyl is as good then........

Shades of Blue turned up yesterday and the other 4 just arrived... I also have the Dexter Gordon Tone Poets coming today too so guess what I'm doing tonight?

advertisement

Back