advertisement

Don Rendall Ian Carr reissues

https://honestjons.com/shop/preview/10061
I know I want them all, just not 100% sure I need them. I'm trying ( but failing) to be closer to the zen end of the spectrum that the completist end.

That said, I have put a alert request in for Integration which I think might be essential.

The site is pretty good at spending my money for me!

Kevin

Kevin, To help you spend it a bit quicker Integration is available and in stock at Honest Johns.
https://honestjons.com/shop/preview/10061
This does save you £2 though.

Hmm, tricky one this, since I also had a conversation with Evan about these matters (probably about 3 years ago), but wouldn't want anything I say to be mistakenly attributed to him.

Precisely! Me neither, which is why I was very careful to say it is my own personal belief (I have edited my previous post for greater clarity). Surely the OtoRoku LP has Evan’s blessing and isn’t a boot? I have a first press Incus LP of Topography as well as the first Psi CD edition, both sound excellent but quite different. Stunning music.

Also, have you seen this? Topographic Parisienne:

https://www.discogs.com/Derek-Baile...isienne-Dunois-April-3d-1981/release/13732908

Surely the OtoRoku LP has Evan’s blessing and isn’t a boot?

Well, I'm not so sure about that: I think Oto may have been a bit cheeky with some of their reissues, but this is all hypothetical. Leaving the issue of source authenticity aside, it does sound excellent to me. It would be great to compare with your original Incus pressing.

I've not heard the Paris '81 recordings; I'll try and track them down.

I've heard about these needle drops, but sometimes I've been surprised. Apparently the Roku reissue of 'Topography of the Lungs' is a needle drop, but that sounds fantastic to me. I thought the recent Emanem 'Karyobin' sounded a bit flat compared to the early CD, but I must admit I've hardly listened to it. Must give it another go.

Thanks for alerting me to Summer 1967, which I've never heard! I've been following Evan Parker since the mid 90s and seen him play more times than is reasonable, but there are still lots of gaps in my knowledge; I've never been a good completist.

On Topography of the Lungs, I have both the psi CD (which I think is from the original tapes), and the Otoroku LP (definitely a needle drop). The CD is excellent, and unfortunately the LP is (to my ears) flat and disappointing in comparison. Perhaps it's the pressing I have. I'll probably listen to both again this coming weekend to confirm - I might even bring them to Cranage, in fact, to bring something different to liven up some of the rooms ;-)

On Karyobin, I have both the Chronoscope CD, and the remastered Emanem reissue. They sound very different, with the Emanem being much brighter, particularly with percussion (to the point of being aggressive at times). I'm assuming that the Chronoscope CD is similar to the original Island LP, but I'm unlikely to have the opportunity to make a comparison. I have heard the Japanese reissue from a needle-drop, and didn't rate that highly at all.

Summer 1967 is very good indeed, and I think I have read somewhere that the idea of Karyobin did come from these Stevens / Parker duets. You can really hear the music being stretched and explored.

I was really looking for vinyl decent vinyl copies of Karyobin and Challenge and have completely overlooked these Enamen CD's. Are they a Spanish label? I note Andrew's comments above, but I may give these CD's a go at that price. Do you have Challenge?

Most memorable (well not very it's a long time ago) venue for SME was Bedford College by Regents Park, now consumed by UCL and the building is now Regents University, London apparently. The Students Union had a Jazz Club, a bar and a small lounge (part of a passage way really), but it was ideal for small British Jazz groups and great for the audience as you were up close. I think performances were about once a month. I saw some good performances there.

Edited to clarify present status of Bedford College.

Thanks, poco a poco. I think the person who runs Emanem emigrated to Spain a few years back, and he distributes Emanem and psi CDs from there. I did order both the reissued Karyobin and Challenge from Spain; Challenge is more traditional than free jazz, but is worth listening to, especially if you're interested in understanding how SME started.

On Topography of the Lungs, I have both the psi CD (which I think is from the original tapes), and the Otoroku LP (definitely a needle drop). The CD is excellent, and unfortunately the LP is (to my ears) flat and disappointing in comparison.

Ok, so you can confirm what I thought about the needledrop? I still think it sounds good though, although it does sound compressed. Sounds like I should get the CD though.

Back on Rendell, I'm really sitting on my hands now, because I want all of these albums, but I want to hear the ones I've ordered in comparison with the 24bit files before I pull the trigger. The Hi-Res digital files are so good, I don't want to blow £100 just for the sake of having collectible items (although I find it hard not to).

Sounds like a good idea. If the provance of the 24 bit files on Qobus is good as Stunsworth seems to suggest there may not be much in it. The reissued LP covers are well done though.

Back on Rendell, I'm really sitting on my hands now, because I want all of these albums, but I want to hear the ones I've ordered in comparison with the 24bit files before I pull the trigger. The Hi-Res digital files are so good, I don't want to blow £100 just for the sake of having collectible items (although I find it hard not to).

If it makes you feel any better I have the HiRes Qobuz and I still bought the vinyl too. I just consider them nice things to have. Even if someone said the digital files were better I'd still buy the records so don't think you're the only one :)

If it makes you feel any better I have the HiRes Qobuz and I still bought the vinyl too. I just consider them nice things to have. Even if someone said the digital files were better I'd still buy the records so don't think you're the only one :)

Yes, I guess I have to admit to unjustifiable vinyl lust. So have you compared the HiRes files with the LPs?

Perhaps now the Don Rendall, Ian Carr Quintet thread has now pretty much run its course with regard to these specific albums and some very good recommendations for classic British Modern Jazz are appearing it would be better to have a seperate thread where it would be easier to find them. So I'll start one.

advertisement

Back