advertisement

Don’t bother turning it over or half good records

I listen to mostly cd rips now & always listen to the full album. When I was wedded to vinyl I would often play only one side of 3 different records.

I listen to mostly cd rips now & always listen to the full album. When I was wedded to vinyl I would often play only one side of 3 different records.

I used to do that also, but now I play both/all sides in order. Must be down to my mild Asperger's as I do not why I now do this

I can't remember the last time I listened to 'Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands'. It seems to go on for hours.

Most so-so double albums can be boiled down to an excellent single album. There's simply no excuse for triple albums.

Most so-so double albums can be boiled down to an excellent single album. There's simply no excuse for triple albums.

you must have bought some bad music, I most certainly have. Better luck myself now when you can have a listen before buying

you must have bought some bad music, I most certainly have. Better luck myself now when you can have a listen before buying
I don't own that many double albums, and certainly no triple ones, but I had a mate who was a Grateful Dead fan and all their albums seemed to be triples. Good double albums tend to be compilations; so 'Weird Scenes Inside the Goldmine' by The Doors has all the good stuff from their studio albums, and almost nothing in the way of filler.

Lloyd Cold - ‘Don’t get weird on me babe’ is another & has a truly terrible title.

Agreed on the title (from a poem IIRC) and that side 2 is less stellar than 1, but it has Weeping Wine and The One You Never Had on it, plus Matthew Sweet, so it's OK by me. That said, She's A Girl...' really isn't up to much.

But if writing that and most of Bad Vibes* resulted in Tried To Rock (one of my favourites of his) then they've justified their existence in my book.

*The B sides around then are better than much of the album IMO, which is the one I play least.

Agreed on the title (from a poem IIRC) and that side 2 is less stellar than 1, but it has Weeping Wine and The One You Never Had on it, plus Matthew Sweet, so it's OK by me. That said, She's A Girl...' really isn't up to much.

But if writing that and most of Bad Vibes* resulted in Tried To Rock (one of my favourites of his) then they've justified their existence in my book.

*The B sides around then are better than much of the album IMO, which is the one I play least.
The mood of side two just jars, I wonder if it would better playing B & then A.

Worth a try. Or just treat them as separate mini-albums.

After the first few plays I only ever played side 1 of Fisherman's Blues. Or rather the first 4 tracks, with World Party serving as a swan song to the big music.

advertisement

Back