Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Don’t bother turning it over or half good records

Discussion in 'music' started by Woodface, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Just listened to David Bowie - ‘Hunky Dory’, obviously it must pre-date sequencing as the 2nd side falls off a cliff.

Any other suggestions?

Lloyd Cold - ‘Don’t get weird on me babe’ is another & has a truly terrible title.

Weekender and klfrs like this.
  2. klfrs

klfrs chill out

The quality of the music, or the sound quality of the disc?

3. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Actually both in the case of Bowie. Pressing quality far worse on 2nd side.

klfrs likes this.
  4. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Kate Bush , Hounds of Love, I rarely listen to side A

5. MarkL56

MarkL56 pfm Member

Steve McQueen:prefab Sprout: Side 2

6. JohnyT

JohnyT Member

I think a lot of people myself included only listen to the one side of Tubular Bells & In A Gadda Da Vida. Probably a bunch more one track takes a whole side situations out there.

RBrinsdon likes this.
  7. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Love: Da Capo. Side 2 is basically a tedious jam session. See also: Rolling Stones: Aftermath.

By contrast Hunk Dory is fab except for ‘Kooks’ (can’t remember if that’s on side A or B).

Snufkin likes this.
  8. flapland

flapland pfm Member

Just done this with Pink Floyd Atom Heart Mother. Don't play it often but don't mind side one. However side two is awful.

9. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Van Morrison Moondance - side 2 is pants.

10. eevo1969

eevo1969 pfm Member

Two thirds of my collection are 12” singles or EPs, often with only one track of interest often accompanied with crap remixes or poorly executed variations of a style to fill the release but you tend to know that going in tbh, a quick look at the credits often confirms what you suspect, the list would be long.
    I listen to a whole LP or album though as it seems to me to be a automatic reaction similar to watching a film that has a promising beginning but quickly goes pear shaped, I need to see it through.

11. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I came from CD first with no concept of a bad side, I just used to listen from start to finish so I carried that on with vinyl. I must have a high tolerance for weaker tracks because I never feel the need to get up and take it off or only play side a/b.

I'm very much a full album or don't bother kind of person, to the point where I probably don't know the name of 90% of the album tracks in my collection as I just listen right through. I know the lyrics though!

MUTTY1 likes this.
  12. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Possibly sacrilege but I rarely listen to side 2 of Marquee Moon by Television. After the title track there doesn’t seem to be much point.

13. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

With vinyl there is a tendency to play the side with a favorite track and perhaps not the other...

14. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

+1 for Love - Da Capo

15. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

I rarely listen to Marquee Moon.
    It's massively overrated.

[Dons coat and trilby and runs out of the...tent]

16. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Hawkwind and Fire

Conversely, one album where most people only play one side, but the other is great, is Alice's Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie.

17. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

interesting position; arriving with CD then introducing vinyl.

18. MUTTY1

I find it inexplicable artists would provide an album with afterthoughts on the second side. Is it, for example, the artist testing the waters with their less mainstream compositions?

I think I’ve seen double albums where the second isn’t too good.

19. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Too many drugs, probably.

20. MUTTY1

They have an agent to moderate between themselves and the real world?;)