advertisement

Dominic Raab WP Editorial

I think I had him confused with Jacob Rees-Mogg, who fell asleep in the British Parliament - these aristocratic British names are so similar sounding to an American ear.

I think I had him confused with Jacob Rees-Mogg, who fell asleep in the British Parliament - these aristocratic British names are so similar sounding to an American ear.

He is the British Foreign Secretary as a result of his slavish support for Brexit. A position he would never have achieved had there been any qualified options. He is most famous for his lack of knowledge about the importance of Dover to Britain's trade. The rather more alarming aspect is that he still isn't the thickest dim wit in Johnson's cabinet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46142188

Haven’t read the piece (the WP cookie policy is outrageously unhelpful) so can’t comment on specifics. But before Britain can be respected as a global force for good, its political class needs to command (and deserve) respect. Until the likes of Raaab are history, that’s unlikely to happen.

Who is this good for? Great Britain’s new economic imperative will undoubtedly be good for the likes of Aaron Banks who will see deregulation of protections of workers rights as a ‘good’, but will obviously not be very good for the workers themselves.

Perhaps it’s time to reintroduce the concept of the Common Good, or perhaps more relevant to today’s economic and environmental challenges, a New Global Common Good

Raab is the son of a Czech immigrant, Peter Raab. His piece described a shopping list of national aspirations to which EU membership (or lack of) is utterly immaterial. It was primarily designed to tell the Biden administration what he assumed it wanted to hear.

Perhaps it’s time to reintroduce the concept of the Common Good, or perhaps more relevant to today’s economic and environmental challenges, a New Global Common Good
Sounds very theoretical to me. Where do we start ?

My (nice) mother-in-law will turn up today at noon for lunch. I guess I should gently start doing something for the Common Good, i.e. clean up the place a bit so we’ll all have a good time around the table.

Next step this afternoon is cleaning the other rooms. Then our car. Then we’ll plan the invitation for our friends on New Year’s Day. Etc.

When all this is done, we’ll go further in our project to make the World a better place. But then, our neighbors might have a different view on how this should be done. Etc.

Why are UK cabinet members allowed to write opinion pieces for any media outlet, especially foreign ones? The agenda has to be more explicit

Raaaab is one of the unchained Brits

I can't see much to complain about in the piece. The real challenge is the follow through. I hope he comes through on the Indo Pacific commitments.
I fully support a mass migration initiative which offers Hong Kong citizens the option of living and working in the UK. It will be a welcome source of skilled labour, hopefully good value too.
Obviously covid will slow things down a lot.

He sweats like a shoplifter when interviewed, not a good look for one of the great offices of state. Biden’s team will soon tell him what’s what and he can report back to his idle boss.

I fully support a mass migration initiative which offers Hong Kong citizens the option of living and working in the UK. It will be a welcome source of skilled labour, hopefully good value too.
Obviously covid will slow things down a lot.
One million in the next five years. Wait till the Brexit voters find out.

Raabs main tactic seems to be to inform all and sundry he is a martial arts expert, they're not going to argue with that, genius.

advertisement

Back