advertisement

Doing it the slow way

Stunning work, and as someone who has recently returned to shooting 100% film after years of digital, I couldn't agree more with the views in the article above.

I've been doing it "The slow way" for over 50 years, mostly B&W, the last 15 years very slowly, mostly with 4x5 film. It may be partly a generational thing, but sometimes I have the feeling that digital photography and cellphones with cameras have "killed" photography. Just one aspect, newspapers and magazines, with few exceptions, no longer employ photographers at a decent wage, and if you look at the pictures published in the 1960s, '70s, '80s, compared to those you see today, the difference in quality is horrifying.

Good pics, but why the need to attach 1930's sepia toning and that broken black frame to those subjects? Aren't they living people in 2019. Sorry but it's not for me. I love film, I love black and white but it doesn't need a 'heritage' mask to be relevant today.
Sry to be a grump, but that's how I feel.

Good pics, but why the need to attach 1930's sepia toning and that broken black frame to those subjects?
Sry to be a grump, but that's how I feel.

Not sure about the sepia toning, but the black frame you refer to looks awfully similar to the real frame of 5x4 negatives, it is already present on the negative and it will be visible in the scan if the scanning surface is large enough to pick it up from the negative. I think it was not added in post. I personally don't find it particularly distracting.

Not sure about the sepia toning, but the black frame you refer to looks awfully similar to the real frame of 5x4 negatives, it is already present on the negative and it will be visible in the scan if the scanning surface is large enough to pick it up from the negative. I think it was not added in post. I personally don't find it particularly distracting.
The frame has no need to be there, and darkroom or digital processing would be easy to lose it. I wonder how the subjects feel about being awarded a 1930's lifestyle. Technically decent pics, but that's it for me.

advertisement

Back