advertisement

Does Your Amp's Mains Plug Have the Correct Fuse?

finesensations

pfm Member
Hi all

Just changed the original mains plug on my Amp from a two pin 'UK conversion' type to a proper British Standard plug.

I also transferred the fuse, to the new plug, and noticed it's a 13amp rather than a 5amp, which I would have thought would be more appropriate.

According to the User Manual, Power Consumption is 410watts and the High instantaneous current capability (HCC) is ±80 Amps.

No mention of fuse value in the Manual.

It's been working fine for over two years (on approx.300hours a month) so don't want to change the original 13amp fuse unless really necessary.

Any comments or suggestions?

I think we need to know what sort of cable is in that mains lead... If it's typical stuff for a 400W appliance then it won't withstand 13A for any length of time - but the fuse WILL. That is the wrong way around.

The ±80 Amps bit is for the output of the amplifier I would have thought, not the mains current draw.

In the UK the fuse is supposed to blow before what ever is upstream melts and burns. In reality the main fuse board trips before either happens. I am not an electrician.

I check all of the electrical devices in the house and fit the right fuse. I have a big bag of 13A fuses left over!

I don't see your amp blowing a 5A fuse. The case fuse is probably 2A!

The fuse in the plug exists to protect against shortcircuits in the flex/appliance and not much more.

In all cases 13A is perfectly safe though a lower rating can be used for lower draw appliances if you want to for a slightly greater level of protection.

The poeople who sell fuses would like you to believe otherwise though.

Hi all

Just changed the original mains plug on my Amp from a two pin 'UK conversion' type to a proper British Standard plug.

I also transferred the fuse, to the new plug, and noticed it's a 13amp rather than a 5amp, which I would have thought would be more appropriate.

According to the User Manual, Power Consumption is 410watts and the High instantaneous current capability (HCC) is ±80 Amps.

No mention of fuse value in the Manual.

It's been working fine for over two years (on approx.300hours a month) so don't want to change the original 13amp fuse unless really necessary.

Any comments or suggestions?

You transferred a fuse??!

Why not try putting in a NEW 13amp fuse, heck even treat it and the pins to some judicious polishing with Duraglit and see if it sounds better. Better still replace the plug and socket with a round pin 15amp version and do away with the fuse entirely.

I think we need to know what sort of cable is in that mains lead... If it's typical stuff for a 400W appliance then it won't withstand 13A for any length of time - but the fuse WILL. That is the wrong way around.

The ±80 Amps bit is for the output of the amplifier I would have thought, not the mains current draw.

Thanks for all your replies.

It's the original lead provided by the manufacturer and I have reused the original 13amp fuse.

I think the answer lies in surge current at switch on. For example fridges / freezers always need 13A fuses although the steady state power is 100w and our amps are again fused with regard to the (capacitor charging) surge; I use 1A of slow-blow fuse for each 100VA of transformer rating. I am sure my Naim Nait 5i had a 13A fuse. As ever talk to somebody who knows what they are talking about - not me

The fuse in the plug exists to protect against shortcircuits in the flex/appliance and not much more.

Except maybe to stop people from being blown into next week if they compromise the cable maybe? 3A is going to sting, 13 might kill you.

You transferred a fuse??!

Why not try putting in a NEW 13amp fuse, heck even treat it and the pins to some judicious polishing with Duraglit and see if it sounds better. Better still replace the plug and socket with a round pin 15amp version and do away with the fuse entirely.

Not sure what you are getting at Dave.

If I believe a 13amp fuse may be too high why would I consider using a 15amp fuse?

15A plugs (the ones with big round pins) do not have fuses... which is why some people like them.

Ed: they rely instead on a fuse or breaker in the distribution board.

15A plugs (the ones with big round pins) do not have fuses... which is why some people like them.

Ed: they rely instead on a fuse or breaker in the distribution board.

I've got a breaker in the distribution board but also prefer to use the correct fuse values.

I believe mr_phil makes a good point when he says 'I think the answer lies in surge current at switch on' so will leave the 13amp fuse in place as that is the value of the fuse the manufacturer provided.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

The fuse in the mains lead is a UK legal requirement and is to protect the mains lead and not the equipment. The reason is because in the UK we use a ring main that usually supports 30A or more. On the continent they use star wiring to the fuse board so a fuse is not needed as the circuit is protect by an MCB.

Cheers,

DV

How do you know that the manufacturer didn't just "cheap out" on you and leave in a 13A fuse that might have been provided to them along with a standard converter thing? The original manufacturer of the converter will not necessarily know what it is to be used with, so is likely to make it suitable for any purpose.

The "correct" mains plug fuse for a 400W appliance is probably 5A.

How do you know that the manufacturer didn't just "cheap out" on you and leave in a 13A fuse that might have been provided to them along with a standard converter thing? The original manufacturer of the converter will not necessarily know what it is to be used with, so is likely to make it suitable for any purpose.

The "correct" mains plug fuse for a 400W appliance is probably 5A.

The Amp came with the lead and 'converter' in place, all as provided by the Amp manufacturer.

I presume the default Amp mains lead uses a two pin plug, as this is correct for most countries, and the manufacturer attaches/installs the 'converter' for countries that use three pin such as the UK.

My Naim 140 is running 2A antisurge in the IEC socket. The plug should be 3 amp would guess. (230V UK)

advertisement

Back