advertisement

Does anyone recognise these Celestions?

GruntPuppy

pfm Member
I seem to be building another system, having bought some Goodmans magnum K2's for £50, then lucking into a bulk lot of a denon integrated amp, a tuner and a cassette player for £20 the lot! Interconnects and speaker cables also included, as well as a cd player that needs repair (not quite so excited a

However.... there's a mystery element here. For an extra £20 he's including a pair of celestion speakers - but there's no stickers showing which ones they are. Do any of you recognise these?

199703020_977673279440397_8454231986714659644_n.jpg

200230640_1364515180599833_8545607072839922551_n.jpg

[edit] aaaaaand I'm a dick. Having just looked up "Celestion 3" I now know what I'm dealing with. I reckon £20 is about on the money for these - not as big a bargain as the rest, but still pretty damn good find.

These were a big deal back in the day. Made quite a splash. Sort of like the speaker version of the NAD 3020.

These were a big deal back in the day. Made quite a splash. Sort of like the speaker version of the NAD 3020.

Really? They seem to be rather unfriendly little bastards, from what I'm reading - a polar opposite to the Celestion UL-6's I ran back in the days with the self-same NAD (plus a yaqin MS6v6, a cambridge audio C500/P500 combo). I eventually upgraded to a bi-amp setup with two P500's and a pair of Linn Helix speakers, and from there eventually to Adcoms, which I still have (and ought to sell... but I don't bloody well want to, despite common sense nagging at me). Most surprising speakers of the era were a pair of Eltax L/R 6.5 speakers, costing a whole £10 from a market stall. I installed the spikes, filled the ballast cavities, and dropped a fair amount of jaws at how surprisingly good they were.

I use a pair of Celestion 9 speakers in the garage, compact rear ported 3 way, they work well on a shelf, quite close to the rear wall, maybe 6 or 8 inches, quite easy to drive too, I've never heard any of the other models in the 'no's' range but the 9s are an absolute VFM bargain.

as a side note - same chap just want the kit to go somewhere appreciative... so is selling me an Ion Obelisk 1 amp... for £5! :eek:

Excellent, if you get a chance to buy a pair of 9s I'd wholeheartedly recommend them, fantastic on the end of a little Creek 4040 or similar.

My ex heard them when she picked them up for me, and was impressed. I shall have a good listen to them tomorrow, no doubt.

They were the first cheap speakers with a metal dome. Reviewers raved about these 3s all over Europe. I remember a German mag driving them with huge Pass Labs amps. Or was it Threshold? As a consequence there were sold for silly (high) prices in some countries, even though they were dirt-cheap in the UK.

The slightly larger 5 was also a fine speaker. The 7 perhaps too, I don't remember. A bit later Celestion revised the entire series, making them ported.

They were the first cheap speakers with a metal dome. Reviewers raved about these 3s all over Europe. I remember a German mag driving them with huge Pass Labs amps. Or was it Threshold? As a consequence there were sold for silly (high) prices in some countries, even though they were dirt-cheap in the UK.

The slightly larger 5 was also a fine speaker. The 7 perhaps too, I don't remember. A bit later Celestion revised the entire series, making them ported.

they're better than I expected, certainly not good enough to replace my mackies though, and the bedroom setup is the only one where I need small speakers.

advertisement

Back