advertisement

Does anyone know of a good DIY MC phono section?

For MM BC550 and BC560 are just fine; arguably maybe even better than the exotics. There is little advantage running the frontend at 12V for MM, so simplify the PSU arrangement, and use 24(ish) V everywhere.

Thanks PD, I've just got back from RadioShack with some carbon film resistors to stand in as temporaries for values I didn't have. They'll do for now.

Welcome to vinyl, Carl! That's a $20 first step down the road towards audio nirvana. :)

BTW, I might have some LP12 take-outs in the garage that you're welcome to – and some spare LPs in need of a new home.

Looks like a Shure of some sort on there? I recommend staying away from Grado cartridges on the AR, they tend to be sensitive to the field around the AC motor and hum toward the end of the record.

It's a Shure M55e. I don't know if it's knackered or not. I bought a couple of records today and will be testing it once I've built a phono stage.

Hello Carl, yes welcome into the vinyl world :)

You can also use some Naim MM 322s cards and with 2 TRegs and the usual Acoustica mods make an external phono stage à la Flatpopely:
"http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53903"
Have fun !
Olivier

Interesting. I don't have any 322s to hand, but they may make a good cheap stage to play around with. I'll keep a look out for a pair.

Thanks everyone,
Carl

Interesting. I don't have any 322s to hand, but they may make a good cheap stage to play around with. I'll keep a look out for a pair.

I might be willing to part mine, or you could always borrow them. They're 322/4s in good nick. :)

advertisement

Back