advertisement

Does anyone in the North of England or Wales have a Denafrips Terminator I can listen to please?

Ok, had a listen. Thetes no way I could possibly separate the sound of the dac from the pre, power, speakers and room. The Agathons were by far having the most impact on the sound.

All I could say is that it's the best I've heard those speakers sound. Certainly none of the softness some reviews claim the denafrips pre amp imparts.

There's no way you could hear past the rather flavoured sound of the speakers.

Given the momentum of late, and from a cursory reading about online (read: not technical), it seems to me most R2R dacs impart a sonic signature via harmonic distortion, intermodulation distortion etc? I've no truck with anyone preferring that, not unlike valves, for example.

Though it does beg the question of whether introducing such a variable into your system blind will be to your satisfaction. Perhaps better to go with the baby denafrips which you could bounce on handily if necessary, or a similar schitt dac etc

Anyway, all this online chatter has got the better of me - I'd like to hear one now.

Interestingly, Z reviews, a quintessentially American YouTube reviewer of DACs etc seems to have settled on a position of yes, there's a perctible difference with R2R DAC, but it is very subtle and marginal. Of course, that's plenty for many an audiophile.

Given the momentum of late, and from a cursory reading about online (read: not technical), it seems to me most R2R dacs impart a sonic signature via harmonic distortion, intermodulation distortion etc? I've no truck with anyone preferring that, not unlike valves, for example.

Though it does beg the question of whether introducing such a variable into your system blind will be to your satisfaction. Perhaps better to go with the baby denafrips which you could bounce on handily if necessary, or a similar schitt dac etc

Anyway, all this online chatter has got the better of me - I'd like to hear one now.

Interestingly, Z reviews, a quintessentially American YouTube reviewer of DACs etc seems to have settled on a position of yes, there's a perctible difference with R2R DAC, but it is very subtle and marginal. Of course, that's plenty for many an audiophile.
There are legacy DACs available, based on AD R2R chips from the past, before everyone switched to multi-bit approach.

Ok, had a listen. Thetes no way I could possibly separate the sound of the dac from the pre, power, speakers and room. The Agathons were by far having the most impact on the sound.

All I could say is that it's the best I've heard those speakers sound. Certainly none of the softness some reviews claim the denafrips pre amp imparts.

There's no way you could hear past the rather flavoured sound of the speakers.

I attended a private ‘pre-opening’ demo of this system (at the show), with the intent of demonstrating the Denafrips. I can’t honestly say it did a great deal for me and, as you say, the system as a whole had far too much character of its own to be able to pick out the Denafrips specifically. However, one thing that did strike me was how poor the stereo imagery was, very vague and unfocused. Later in the day I returned to the room for a second listen and the nice chap who had conducted the demonstration remembered me and apologised for the previous demo and explained that (and I think this is what he told me) some internal bass driver in the left hand speaker had been found to be accidentally left disconnected - indeed, the overall sound was now quite a bit better - but by that time I was in something of a hurry and couldn’t stay very long.

I thought that Willow Tree Audio rig sounded weak.
But probably because of the speakers, rather than the dac.

Hi Jim,

Are you going to give this a go? Be interested in your thoughts.

Although I mainly use a Linn Klimax DS Renew I still keep an Audionote 2.1 DAC as it is just excellent, despite being R2R and hampered by so much distortion. My intention is to try and pick up a dCS NB for a reasonable price and then alternate between the dCS/AN and the Linn. I did think seriously about trying a Denafrips but would always prefer to try and support British industry, while we still have some!

M

Hi M

Well, in the end I am also going to support British industry by sticking with an all Naim system.
The 555psdr has brought the streamer, dac and preamp sections of my 272 up so well that Im very happy to stay with Naim streamers, dacs and amps for years to come.

If you are still interested in the Network Bridge to feed your Audionote dac, I’d suggest definitely getting a home trial to see whether it makes much difference. If poss with dual AES cables.

The problem with the Terminator is that it’s almost impossible to test one.
One option is buy one from Willow, which is expensive. Also he blocks customers from hearing the dac at his premises. The NW Audio Show tells you nothing about the Terminator. And I fear his Italian service centre.

So if I wanted a Termi I’d just buy one from Vinshine Audio.
And feed it with a Wyred4sound streamer server, as Darko did.

(Or try hear/buy one of the extremely rare cases that come up on pfm or the bay...)

Jim

Well, I bought a second hand terminator a couple of months ago and feel that it lives up to the hype.

It's powerful, composed, analogue sounding, very black background, unflustered, deep bass, built out of granite and very tactile to the touch. Recommended.

I hear the concerns but the value on offer is unbeatable. Plus its upgradeable via £200 new dsp circuit boards, which may well regularly get released over the years. Very happy.

Hi,

I have the Terminator which replaced the Luxman DA06 ... nvr used the words "game changer" before but heard it too often with the Terminator and I echo it here.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi,

I have the Terminator which replaced the Luxman DA06 ... nvr used the words "game changer" before but heard it too often with the Terminator and I echo it here.

Cheers.

Richard
I just happened to watch a Steve Guttenberg review of it, and he was almost lost for words. I still wouldn't buy one with the lack of support mind..

advertisement

Back