advertisement

Does anyone in the North of England or Wales have a Denafrips Terminator I can listen to please?

Pterodactyl

pfm Member
...because I’m buying one, but I’ve never heard it.
I live in Lancaster.
All it would involve is say an hour for a cup of tea and a chat about hifi and a listen.
It would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

Might be easiest, it's a thriving community I believe.

Might be worth asking the supplier/manufacturer if they can put you in touch with any owners?

I am an academic at Lancaster University.
You could check my web page before deciding whether to invite me.

One of my daughters studies at Lancaster. She uses an Iphone with a bluetooth speaker. Would a quick listen to this set up help you in any way?
Er, nope.
Unless she has a YouTube video of a Network Bridge and Terminator playing via a Supernait 2…

I am an academic at Lancaster University.

Being an academic then means you have thought long and hard about what might happen if this piece of equipment goes wrong, or how easy it will be to get it fixed or supported in the future?

4.jpg

Look at the vast numbers of parts in there and as we all know (well some of us do) surface mount parts on PCBs are not known for their long term reliability. For example: if one of those electrolytic capacitors goes faulty how on earth is anyone going to be able to find it, other than replacing the whole lot? It would most probably require a completely new board, assuming the manufacturer is still in business or is willing to supply the board separately. If a product like this did not have good UK or EU representation I would seriously think twice or even three times about buying it...

Last edited:
Being an academic then means you have thought long and hard about what might happen if this piece of equipment goes wrong, or how easy it will be to get it fixed or supported in the future?

4.jpg

Look at the vast numbers of parts in there and as we all know (well some of us do) surface mount parts on PCBs are not know for their long term reliability. For example: if one of those electrolytic capacitors goes faulty how on earth is anyone going to be able to find it, other than replacing the whole lot? It would most probably require a completely new board, assuming the manufacturer is still in business or is willing to supply the board separately. If a product like this did not have good UK or EU representation I would seriously think twice or even three times about buying it...
Something we don't think about enough in my view. Good to have a pro take on that.You can see how my Iphone and Bluetooth speaker suggestion was a sensible one cant you? :)

The UK importers, Willow Tree Audio, are exhibiting at the North West Audio Show at Cranage at the end of June. It might be worth checking to see if they’re bringing a Terminator with them.

4.jpg

Look at the vast numbers of parts in there and as we all know (well some of us do) surface mount parts on PCBs are not known for their long term reliability. For example: if one of those electrolytic capacitors goes faulty how on earth is anyone going to be able to find it, other than replacing the whole lot? It would most probably require a completely new board, assuming the manufacturer is still in business or is willing to supply the board separately. If a product like this did not have good UK or EU representation I would seriously think twice or even three times about buying it...
Yes I have.
They have a three year warranty, and a servicing and repair centre in Italy.
I know it’s a risky purchase in some senses, that’s accounted for in the price, which is extremely good for the quality of the dac.
Of course a risk averse person like yourself will shy away from it.
But some more adventurous audiophiles might be led more by SQ than the negative possibilities that you mention.

Attach four dozen electrolytics to a raspi and a soekris discrete dac and you can have a similar setup for £400

But you said yourself you haven't actually heard it FFS!

Precisely!

People don't go to dealers for demonstrations anymore. Even less likely to take any advice from someone in the industry. They seem happy to buy equipment based on ambiguous reviews and what strangers say on the web.
Having been involved in audio for nearly 40 years, seeing the words "a servicing and repair centre in Italy" is all I need to know about avoiding this product like the plague?

advertisement

Back