advertisement

Does anyone here still shoot film?

The last time I used one, a Minolta X700 MPS, was six years ago and since then I have not used any of my film cameras.

Here was one of the photos that I shot, using a Kodak 400 Tmax black and white film.

43250634344_7ba6cf6a1e_c.jpg

Last edited:
On a Fuji, you can lock most of the buttons, hold and press the MenuOK button for a few seconds, should lock most buttons on the rear (certainly locks the MenuOK and 4 buttons around it, and my case with the X100F locks the Q button, the top button and dials continue to work fine. To release lock repeat holding down MenuOK button

Thanks for this tip, Mr P. I've implemented it this evening (◕‿◕)

The last time I used one, a Minolta X700 MPS, was six years ago and since then I have not used any of my film cameras.

Here was one of the photos that I shot, using a Kodak 400 Tmax black and white film.

43250634344_7ba6cf6a1e_c.jpg
Lovely.

That be Brizzle!
(that ferry still runs; the other boat is long gone)

On a Fuji, you can lock most of the buttons, hold and press the MenuOK button for a few seconds, should lock most buttons on the rear (certainly locks the MenuOK and 4 buttons around it, and my case with the X100F locks the Q button, the top button and dials continue to work fine. To release lock repeat holding down MenuOK button

That confirms that I'm better off with film!

I have been shooting film again for about a year and am really enjoying it. I moved close to an old school camera shop and got my Leica M3 serviced. Traded in some huge Nikon Zooms on a Zeiss ZM 50mm planar. Mainly shooting TriX and some Portra. I also got a mint F3 for a song, and then the lockdown brought on more GAS...Leica R8, Leicaflex SL, Canon EOS1N, Nikon F2AS. All good fun and way cheaper than getting the latest digital gear.

I have a roll of FP4 and a roll of XP2 in the fridge. I have a plan to get them out and take a picture of them with my digital camera. Does that count?

I have completely abandoned digital cameras and have gone back to film. I have learnt to process my own film, both black and white and C41 colour negative, and have also moved into the medium format realm. I do not wet-print for now: I don't have the space for a darkroom, but will do so one day. I have learnt how to scan my negatives. The reasons why I've done this transition are far too many to list. But the fact remains: I am in love with photography all over again.

I have completely abandoned digital cameras and have gone back to film. I have learnt to process my own film, both black and white and C41 colour negative, and have also moved into the medium format realm. I do not wet-print for now: I don't have the space for a darkroom, but will do so one day. I have learnt how to scan my negatives. The reasons why I've done this transition are far too many to list. But the fact remains: I am in love with photography all over again.

Would you say it is like sex without a condom?

I've not done a return yet but am thinking about it.
Thing is, I'm not quite sure why I want to. Being honest I think it's all a bit 'rose tinted specs' in my case.
I remember, when I want to think about it:
Manual focus lenses (dodgy eyesight now and no viewfinder diopter adjustment on many old film cameras means glasses are a must, but eye relief?)
Exposure. Film latitude if quite limited. You need to be accurate and you need to understand what you're doing. That means slowing down. Fine if your subject will cooperate. I tend to set the cam for the general light, but then you run into backlight, deep shadow, high contrast etc...

but I also remember:
The beauty and mechanical lovliness of a decent film camera. Old Nikons, Contax, Olympus and more all are things to really appreciate owning.
Simplicity. I do miss that. Fuji maybe might do something for me digitally, and as a long term Nikon user I can reduce my D610 to the basics if i want, but it's still a beast.

Of the quality of film the jury is out. However when all is right, and the processing and the chemicals and the paper and the enlarger lens and and and all cooperate, then, just sometimes, things are a bit magic.

But after all, it's fun. It's owning something you love. It's thinking, creative, slow, and much more of a craft so overall I'd say, do it but don't make it your tool for those vital moments. Not for weddings really. Just in case. For Art, certainly.

I love the simplicity of film cameras and wish there was a digital camera that didn’t have a menu system at all, just the basic controls and light-meter one would find on an old Nikon F2, Olympus OM1 or whatever. That is all I want aside, and this is a big one, the ability to review pictures after taking them.

There is......

https://uk.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M10-D

Even at the price if I had the cash I would buy one.

I like shooting in film, but also have a Sony NEX mirrorless body handy for the lenses. :p

I have a Yashica Electro 35 GSN rangefinder, and my wife has a Minolta X700 SLR with some Rokkor lenses. There's something great about film if planning a session, with good light, but also appreciate digital cameras and good smartphones for more impulsive stuff, or finding good shots that can be taken with the film.

I'm not sure the Leica adds much that you don't get with a basic X-Pro3 for significantly less money. You get a real aperture wheel, and a speed dial on the top, and very intuitive aperture priority/speed priority depending on what you set to 'Automatic'. The X-Pro rangefinder style (ok, not technically a rangefinder, but the window which works the same way) means that you can basically ignore the menus, and with the 3 the screen is by default not visible, so again, less to distract if you're a purist.

I personally shoot an X-T1 which works like this for me. Yes, it's a screen for a viewfinder, but it's fast enough that I just don't notice in everyday shooting, and appreciate the aids it super-imposes, such as where the horizon really is :) Manual speed/aperture controls, manual focus if you want (but I just don't, and am happy with the focus system), it's really hard not to like, and they are plentiful and cheap on the second hand market.

Back to film cameras, i've recently got Ian's Mamiya 7, which is one of those cameras i've wanted for years (and for whatever reason always managed to miss getting one). My enlarger is good for 6*7 (it's large format) and the 7 is quite a bit lighter and smaller than my normal 6*7 which is an RZ67.

So, some 6*7 fun for me for the moment, 80mm prime the only lens i've got, i'll maybe try and track down a 65mm as that's more to my liking, but we'll see...

And i've just developed a couple of rolls of Delta 100 from my hasselblad and they are looking excellent (even though the film is 5 years out of date and was stored in my freezer). My darkroom is currently under 2 inches of paperwork so i've got to get that sorted before I can make prints, but that's next on the list...

I'm not sure the Leica adds much that you don't get with a basic X-Pro3 for significantly less money. You get a real aperture wheel, and a speed dial on the top, and very intuitive aperture priority/speed priority depending on what you set to 'Automatic'. The X-Pro rangefinder style (ok, not technically a rangefinder, but the window which works the same way) means that you can basically ignore the menus, and with the 3 the screen is by default not visible, so again, less to distract if you're a purist.

Yes true and the camera I'll likely actually be able to afford when I'm ready!

Interesting that the Leica ad says "A digital body, but an analogue soul." The implication seems to be that you buy an M10, and pay a fortune, but really really, you would like to have an M2. A bit like modern cars that are supposed to have the "soul" of some great iconic car from the 1960s, but of course don't. If you want digital, fine! If you want to use film, that's fine, too! Why pay a fortune to buy a camera that sort-of-pretends to be something it isn't? A camera is just a tool, after all. Not a fashion accessory or a toy. It is sad because, in all fields, the "retro" thing simply reveals a lack of new ideas. There, I've had by rant!

Interesting that the Leica ad says "A digital body, but an analogue soul." The implication seems to be that you buy an M10, and pay a fortune, but really really, you would like to have an M2. A bit like modern cars that are supposed to have the "soul" of some great iconic car from the 1960s, but of course don't. If you want digital, fine! If you want to use film, that's fine, too! Why pay a fortune to buy a camera that sort-of-pretends to be something it isn't? A camera is just a tool, after all. Not a fashion accessory or a toy. It is sad because, in all fields, the "retro" thing simply reveals a lack of new ideas. There, I've had by rant!

I see what you mean but to me the 'card' in the back of the camera is the 'film'. Even with my current camera I turn off all 'screens' and use the viewfinder and the dials. For me it would just be really great for them not to be there so the Leica would be perfect. Yes it's a lot of money but what leica isn't? You might say just shoot film but for me it would be something else I'd have to learn and take a lot of time doing and at this point in life I just don't have the time to add another all in hobby!

advertisement

Back