advertisement

Does Anybody Own Project Streamers, DAC or Streamer with Built-in DAC

ryder

pfm Member
I was initially looking at a DAC to be used with a laptop. I then noticed there is an overwhelming option available with the DACs. To make things complicated, there are also few streamers, and one of it comes with a built-in DAC.

To cut to the chase, has anyone compared the options? Which is the best configuration?

Laptop + Project DAC or DAC of any kind such as Chord Qutest etc.
Project Streamer + DAC of any kind such as Chord Qutest etc.
Project Streamer with built-in DAC

DAC Options (that's quite a selection there!);
1. DAC Box S2+ - ESS9038, 32 bit/768 kHz
2. Pre Box S2 Digital - ESS 9038, 24 bit/192 kHz
3. DAC Box DS2 Ultra - AK4490 DA chip from Texas Instruments, 32 bit/768 kHz
4. DAC Box RS - PCM 1792 DA chip, 24 bit/192 kHz
5. DAC Box RS2 - 2 x ESS9038Q2M
6. Pre Box RS2 Digital - 2 x ESS9038Q2M with preamp, DAC and headphone amp

Streamer Options;
1. Streambox RS - streamer, DAC, internet radio (is this complete package any good?)
2. Streambox DS2T - streamer, internet radio
3. Streambox S2 Ultra - streamer, CD ripping, Roon
4. Streambox S2 - streamer

I have a project dac E which was quite cheap and it seems pretty good..I use my Topping D 10 as the converter..if you get a spdif/ usb converter a whole lot of older dacs then become useable ( older dacs don't have the usb in ) and these older dacs can be excellent used from a laptop/ tablet..

I have a Project Pre Box S2 Digital that I am really pleased with. I have fed it with PCM up to to 24/192 and DSD up to 512 .
Sound quality is excellent. Headphone amp is fairly indifferent. It works well as a digital preamp and remote volume control to my system switching between Coax Optical and USB.
The Optical & Co-ax top out at 24/192 USB gives the best range DSD 512 and PCM 32/768

I mostly use it driven by a Pi 4 via USB (no HAT) handling both DSD and PCM
The linked document has a summary of info on the unit gleaned from the forums.
I would highly recommend the unit, brilliant value for money.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12H0_F_gD2GY37XKHwrM3tQZRYcm84yzIrSy1MbmkFY8/edit

I have a Project Pre Box S2 Digital that I am really pleased with. I have fed it with PCM up to to 24/192 and DSD up to 512 .
Sound quality is excellent. Headphone amp is fairly indifferent. It works well as a digital preamp and remote volume control to my system switching between Coax Optical and USB.
The Optical & Co-ax top out at 24/192 USB gives the best range DSD 512 and PCM 32/768

I mostly use it driven by a Pi 4 via USB (no HAT) handling both DSD and PCM
The linked document has a summary of info on the unit gleaned from the forums.
I would highly recommend the unit, brilliant value for money.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12H0_F_gD2GY37XKHwrM3tQZRYcm84yzIrSy1MbmkFY8/edit

That could have been written by me too!

Project Pre Box S2 Digital in use here too. Marvellous little thing. I got the optional aluminium remote control too - which I use at the office desk to control volume remotely.

S2 has the Optical input sourced from TV. USB from Mac Mini running Roon Server. CoAx input is connected to the Marantz Universal player - but I hardly ever use that link as the Marantz is also directly connected to the Amp. The Mac Mini is also HDMI connected to the TV as a display for Roon and general Mac management.

advertisement

Back