advertisement

Does a smart meter affect Hi-Fi sound?

duckworp

pfm Member
I think that I have heard somewhere that smart meters can affect the sound.

I have a dedicated mains spur for the Hi-Fi and I find that a lot to do with the house electricity does affect the sound (for example those tp-link WiFi plugs which distribute WiFi around your house via your mains cabling definitely affect the SQ). I also find anything that introduces noise (smps, cheap broadband switches etc) also affects the sound.

I am being offered a smart meter installation but don’t want to do it if it falls into that same category of electrical things that affect the Hi-Fi.

I know the question is loaded in that a number of vocal people on pf don’t believe anything to do with the electrics affects their sound quality.

But if any of you who know that electrical things can affect their SQ, have a view on Smart Meters I would love to hear your view.

Thanks!

I have a smart meter on my water - as long as I can still make a coffee, sound quality will be OK.

Seriously, it's tricky. I recently rewired the house - new 3-phase from the road, one phase dedicated to the hifi isolated spur under concrete, fibre and CAT6 buried in the wall far away from power. Sure, it sounds great, but the hifi was removed for 6 months as the house was rebuilt so comparison is impossible.

I would probably be more concerned with the stability and reliability of ethernet over power lines than the noise it causes to the power supply of your equipment. The type of equipment you use, the types of power supply and the filtering adopted are likely to be more relevant. SMPS should be unaffected by mains noise, but somehow I find conditioning has benefits.

I have a dedicated mains spur for the Hi-Fi

There are lots of reasons for NOT having a smart meter and none that i can think of for having one, regardless of the unlikely effect on your s.q. B.t.w., you have, unless I'm mistaken, a dedicated RADIAL circuit, not a spur. If it IS a spur, 'taint dedicated (in the electrical sense).

If you think it audibly affects the sound, then it will. But there's no earthly reason why it should, more than anything else you already have in your house.

If you think it audibly affects the sound, then it will. But there's no earthly reason why it should, more than anything else you already have in your house.
Electronics susceptible to interference from mobile phones might be affected by smart meters since that is how they communicate (at least some of them). Of course, anything made in the last 20 years that suffers from such problems is, IMO, faulty by design.

IF... your smart meter is a few inches from your hifi AND IF said smart meter is using mobile phone tech to communicate AND IF your hifi is susceptible to interference from a mobile phone... then maybe, just maybe, then a smart meter might be an issue for you. Mansr is, of course, correct - any recent hifi should be immune by design.

But honestly - I think this is mostly a case of over-thinking and imagining what maybe

Didn't make any difference here but i have got a good thick wall between the meters and TT plus power conditioners / surge protection on the mains supply.

I wonder do you keep your mobile in the same room as the hifi when listening ?

or any other extraneous electrical/ electronic device.

How many more smart meter threads are we going to start up??

They're coming and there's nothing anybody on here can do about it - go and find something worthwhile to worry about and over which you have a measure of control.....

Regards

Richard

advertisement

Back