advertisement

Do you think this is likely to be of interest to anyone? Tandberg Reel to reel

neilm

pfm Member
Hi

so going through my Dad's garage there is a reasonable amount of his old hi-fi. Most of it is probably not worthy of mention, but I did locate this device. In the collectives view, is this likely to be of value to anyone? If not then it will probably be added to the pile of stuff to take to the dump

My first attempt to post a picture so apologies if it doesn't quite work

IMG_0003 by neilrmason, on Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125321276@N08/

Also, apologies the picture is actually pretty crap, so the details of interest are not easy to read. I can establish more information next time I am over there.

Appreciate any thoughts / comments people may have

thanks

Neil

My first r-r, acquired from an old hand at work when I had my first job. You could still get every replacement part direct from Tandberg back then - a great service dept. I think the main issue then was that the machine couldn't erase modern tapes such as Maxell and TDK very well - which Comet knocked out at the time. Thanks for the memories.

Tandberg was a very aristocratic brand in its day. So I'm sure you will find someone to take it off your hands. Better to give it away to someone who will love it than the dump. Try Ebay, or your local classifieds website. Also, try putting it in the pfm "classifieds," you never know.

I picked up a similar machine at a boot sale years ago and had great fun playing with tape loops and splicing. I couldn't tell you if it was hifi or not but had a very solid feel. It had cross-field biasing and coped with any tape I could lay hands on. I wish I'd kept it now.

Thanks Gents, will pop it on the classifieds, as you say Paul, it is not about the money if someone wants to give it a home for a while

Neil

Tandberg made some decent R2Rs but Im not sure about that particular model I haven’t see that before.
I have a particular fetish for R2Rs and own 5 of them in use:rolleyes:, I have just bought 2 more which I have to pick up from Swindon during the week.
if you hear a well fettled one you would be amazed as to just how good they sound, there nothing short of stunning ;).
Alan

The main problem with these old reel-to-reel recorders (this one is from the mid-late 1960s) is that the belts and idler rubbers perish. You may or may not be able to get aftermarket replacements, but not from Tandberg.

Here in Sweden every school had a bunch of Tandberg's 'joy stick' model (look to the right of the pic) when I was a kid. They where made like tanks, not even the clumpsiest of teachers where ever able to break them!

Not exactly HiFi, though. But the latter day TD20's where very good.

JohanR

Hi Neil,
Any idea what model this is.
If it is a 3021/3041X or similar it is an excellent machine and well worth refurbishing.

John

advertisement

Back