advertisement

Do You Still Buy Gear That You Don't Need

ryder

pfm Member
Say you are contented with your system(s) but have an itch to purchase a 3rd or 4th amplifier or DAC which may not have a permanent place in the system and may well be sitting on the rack doing nothing most of the time.

Having redundant loudspeakers may not be a good thing but I have an itch to try an integrated amp for easy swapping between my separates.

I tend to keep a stock of spare stuff that I rotate in and out of my various systems, although my main system stays the same and hasn't had any changes for many years.

Latest addition was an Audiolab 8000A that I bought because I wanted a spare integrated with a reasonable phono stage - I suspect it'll end up in either a system for my daughters new flat or in my bedroom system, although it's currently in my living room system having temporarily replaced a Nait 3. I'm also auditioning one of the Krell integrateds next week, although if I do get that it'll probably mean a total restructure of one of my systems which will get built around it.

Thanks for the post. That is surely comforting to hear.

I used to perform many foolish upgrades in the past only to incur losses when I sold the gear. Although most gear were bought used, few were bought new and sold within a year or two. I still recall getting the Rega Elicit mk2 integrated from the dealer only to sell it after 8 months of use.

I have somehow learnt from past experiences, consolidating the components that appeal to me and selling all other unwanted gear away. Although my current system is fairly new at about 3 years old, it has evolved from the same manufacturer ( Naim NAC202/NAP200 to NAC282/NAP50DR and Harbeth SHL5 to SHL5+). Although I have upgraded the amps, I still retain the 202/200 in the 2nd system and haven't sold any major component to date.

I read that the Krell KAV-400XI is a more refined version of the KAV-300i which is a good thing.

If I happen to get the integrated that I am currently eyeing, it will surely need to stay put for a long time. In other words, it needs to be something quite exotic unlike most mainstream amps I've tried which include the Rega, Plinius, Classe, NVA and LFD to name a few.

Thanks for the post. That is surely comforting to hear.

I used to perform many foolish upgrades in the past only to incur losses when I sold the gear. Although most gear were bought used, few were bought new and sold within a year or two. I still recall getting the Rega Elicit mk2 integrated from the dealer only to sell it after 8 months of use.

I have somehow learnt from past experiences, consolidating the components that appeal to me and selling all other unwanted gear away. Although my current system is fairly new at about 3 years old, it has evolved from the same manufacturer ( Naim NAC202/NAP200 to NAC282/NAP50DR and Harbeth SHL5 to SHL5+). Although I have upgraded the amps, I still retain the 202/200 in the 2nd system and haven't sold any major component to date.

I read that the Krell KAV-400XI is a more refined version of the KAV-300i which is a good thing.

If I happen to get the integrated that I am currently eyeing, it will surely need to stay put for a long time. In other words, it needs to be something quite exotic unlike most mainstream amps I've tried which include the Rega, Plinius, Classe, NVA and LFD to name a few.

Imho these are hardly mainstream, no more so than Krell ...

I have never really had multiple systems, but have a one box denon in the main bedroom which is a glorified alarm clock in terms of use. With hifi I have learned a degree of perspective is advisible; I took up another hobby (cycling) several years ago & cam to the conclusion that my audio set up is beyond the dreams of most so I should appreciate what I have. For 'better' you can often substitute the word 'different'. I may be due a smallish legacy before the year is out & will probably invest in some new speakers; this could be quite a radical departure for me as it will be first none naim/linn component for probably 20 years.

In a word, no.

I’ve always done my homework and (where possible) demo’d gear before purchase. It’s not to say I’ve made a few changes along the way, but it’s always a case of one in one out for me.

I try to get things right first time instead of jumping on the merry go round. I don’t always succeed!

I’ve not bought anything for a while now, but I certainly have quite a surplus! I’ve always been an opportunistic buyer and will take a punt on things that interest me that I consider to be under-value/very easy to move on.

Yeah, I bought about 100+ NOS TDK cassettes (D, AE and SA formulation) to feed a Nak that I barely use, and don't actually need. I'd like to buy a few more, maybe AD, AD-X and MA formulations. Hifi is mostly about "wants" and rarely "needs".

absoflippinglutely, I buy loads of kit and then sell it within a few months. I'm interested in how different kit sounds, especially different implementations of the same valves like 300b or EL84 etc although I do keep coming back to Audio Note.

As it happens I'm having a clearout so if you are looking for a nice integrated I have one for sale ;)

Buying gear I don't need?
Yep, most of it.

Having decided, after not playing any of my vinyl for years, that my turntable could go, I put it on eBay.
It sold for a reasonable price.
What do I do next ......buy a fairly upmarket new turntable + arm & cartridge.

After set up and a bit of a play, I haven't touched it for about 6 months.

Active wireless speakers next and all the rest of the gear can go, apart from a CD player and one of my streamers.

MB

I buy broken stuff because I have fun fixing it. One condition: it should be mint, but not working then.

Unfortunately I never sell anything. I just can’t.

So yes, I buy stuff from time to time, although I don’t need it. But I’m not a compulsive buyer.

I just buy equipment, not useless spaghettis.

absoflippinglutely, I buy loads of kit and then sell it within a few months. I'm interested in how different kit sounds, especially different implementations of the same valves like 300b or EL84 etc although I do keep coming back to Audio Note.

As it happens I'm having a clearout so if you are looking for a nice integrated I have one for sale ;)

me too , just love trying out different amps . sometimes you come across a real honey . i guess the integrated amp would be an audionote otto ? would it

i guess the integrated amp would be an audionote otto ? would it

No that's staying, it's the Line Magnetic 845 amp.

Have got the option on an Audio Note P3 silver signature so need some cash.

I think there are often different types of enthusiasts. The one who is on a mission to a build a great sound that is everything they want, and then the one who enjoys it as a hobby and hearing different signatures/approaches etc so constantly box swapping.

I was the former and built my perfect system, at great cost and lots of box swapping. I despise it a little due to what it actually cost (probably a small amount to some on here), but I am so glad I no longer funnell cash into it trying to find the sound i wanted.

advertisement

Back