advertisement

Do you consider power/energy usage when selecting a new kit?

Surely you can't all see this as a joking matter that doesn't really require attention even from the minuscule elements on a global scale.?

People are not taking this as seriously as you would like. Quite a few seem to have the situation in perspective... most hifis consume less than 100W, which is acceptable for the enjoyment they bring. Changing from AB to class D might save 30W. This is so far down the scale!

I'm much more concerned about overpopulation, fuel guzzling vehicles, twats sitting on tickover, noise pollution from oversized modern tyres (and all the plastic they are shredding into the atmosphere) etc.

"Yes" would have done fine. I didn't need to know your success rate. So how many mobiles tablets, PCs, gaming machines, food, fuel, gas, electricity etc, etc will these two consume over the next 80 years or more?
More or less than an average hifi system? Just a one word answer please - more/less.
I have no intention of saving resources for somebody else's sprogs so if you want them to have the planet's resources to harvest you'll have to make your own arrangements!

WOW what a tool! are you saying the planet is yours and yours alone.. no one else is allowed to exist now or in the future and that's your justification to continue 'using and abusing' ?

Last edited:
The thing that gets me is the sheer quantity of single-use plastic. It is almost impossible to go supermarket shopping without coming back with a shed-loads of it. That is the first thing that needs banning/regulating. Someone spinning the meter for a few hours with a 30 year old Krell, Pass or 60 year old valve amp is harmless in the grand scheme of things. Consuming plastic and creating landfill is the real death of this planet to my mind.

Your supermarket trip is peanuts compared to the amount of plastic that farmers (guardians of the countryside :D) spread around the place, and at least yours ends up in the bin or recycling. I couldn't believe the amount of pale green and black plastic stuck on tree branches when we canoed down the Wharfe last summer. It should be illegal to wrap straw/hay in plastic. They should be forced back to the old way.

(Sorry, pet rant!)

Some interesting points and questionable attitude.
@Guinnless your post reads as both bitter and selfish.
Single use plastics are certainly a major problem, whilst I try my best to reduce the amount we use by shopping in refill shops, butcher puts the meat into my own plastic boxes, fruit and veg bought loose and put into reusable net or hessian bags, soap instead of shower gel or shampoo, etc, there's a few items, Toothpaste and deodorant, that I cannot find a 'green' alternative that works sufficiently.
Clothes I wear until they have holes in and then they either go to recycling or I use them as polishing and cleaning cloth in the garage.
We will be moving house in a few weeks, an older house, it's getting new windows with a high efficiency, an upgrade to the loft insulation, a split high temp air source heat pump, new cast alloy rads and an electric cast iron range, two "modern' eco wood burners (about 85% efficiency) and perhaps most importantly solar panels and batteries to augment the supply of power we require. No more coal, oil or gas being burnt on the premises. The woodburners will most likely only be used in the winter months and are really more of a luxury than a necessity.
Whilst I realise all of these things need to be manufactured and transported which produces a carbon footprint, I'm hoping this will greatly reduce our carbon footprint and be a more sound ecological and economic way to run our home as well as being warm, comfortable & draught free that will last 25 years +.
As for transport, my bike was built in 1950, it only really gets used for recreation in the summer months and we are seriously considering an electric vehicle for our next 4 wheeled transport as is my current employer.
When it comes to my hifi, I really only have time to use it for an hour or two the odd evening and a few hours on a Sunday and generally in the summer if the sun's out so am I. I think I can warrant to still use Class A amps if I so wish as they're my preference based on my experience and the excess heat is not wasted.
Whilst I don't have all the answers to increasing issues of climate change or plastic in our Oceans (I wish I did) I personally feel we all as individuals have a responsibility to do our bit.
As for waste, well it's just foolish.

WOW what a tool! are you saying the planet is your and yours alone.. no one else is allowed to exist now or in the future and that's your justification to continue 'using and abusing' ?
Not at all. But I'm not intent on increasing the population with the associated increase in resources. I'm on ASHP here, I'll assume with your green attitude that you also don't use a gas boiler. Yes, no ?

Some good points made in this thread, e.g. by @Tony L and @Cereal Killer.

As for me, I ended up with what I have over the course of several years, which involved changing from active (which is why I got a pre in the first place) to passive (by coming across a class A power amp I was keen on). If I would splash out this kind of money again in one go I am not sure if I would end up with the same combination of components, and even now, being basically (very) happy with what I have, I think about minimising my system from time to time, down to 1 Class A/B integrated with a built-in DAC, which would replace the pre, DAC and a class A power amp. I would still want to have a separate phono pre for the TT.

However, in the grand scheme of things/power consumption I should be fairly OK compared to the average in my country. Given my otherwise fairly minimal lifestyle, my hifi system is pretty much the only major electronic component I have (I don't own a TV, never have) in my fairly small 2 bedroom apartment. I don't consume much, I recycle as much as I can and I avoid plastic wherever possible. I also focus on buying European or even locally made products (clothing, shoes, furniture, etc.) if possible. Oh, and I don't own a car (and never have).

Regarding operating the HiFi, I activated the auto switch off feature on the Accuphase components - they switch off after 120min of inactivity (because of course Accuphase does not deal with such newfangled nonsense such as "stand by" - here, OFF MEANS OFF!! :)) if I ever forget to switch them off, which would be a bit of a problem with the class A power amp. I leave the Whest and the SME on 24/7 but they consume very little.

Regarding the long term, the support of Accuphase and B&W regarding spares and repairs is generally very good, and both keep their value for a long time, which cannot be said for a lot of other high end companies' products (even if they are objectively good). So, apart from me getting at least some amount of money when selling down the line, they will probably continue to function for decades to come.

So, in short (IMO):
  • Buy as little as possible
  • Buy for the long term (reliability & repairability etc.)
  • Buy local if possible
Apologies for going off on a bit of a tangent!

That's a healthy way of living IMHO, not far from my strands of thinking too; trying to make the smallest carbon footprint possible.

It all comes from the sun so it is both green and free.. :rolleyes:

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...e-sums-to-keep-lights-on-record-energy-prices

"Paid huge sums" that's you and me that is.

Green ?
Nice. That is why do not understand optimism about electric cars, we have shortage even without them. I am not in UK, my country green (wind, biogas) electricity means extra tax for whole nation and new millionaires. Thank you politicians.
Ok, we have three hidroelectrostations which can cover a half needs in a good year, that counts as proper green, rest is gas and import, so still vulnerable in supply.
A bit google and it says that in average eletric car spend 1kWh per 4 miles. So, you can run your average A class amp with 300w idling power for whole evening while somebody else will be maybe only halfway to nearby shop. Do you want to count amplifiers at home and cars on road?
All that 'every little helps' remainds me walking through park and picking up every dog shit on a way and then at end, when you look back at your good work, you see a truckload shit already in every those places where you picked up. So, if it makes you feel great doing your little things, good for you, just do not look around.
No, I do not care about electricity usage of any things in my household, anyway, they are used when needed and when not needed, they do not use electricity.
Your amplier using electricity? Well, good for him.

Does anybody consider exercise bike with built-in power generator while whatching TV? Good for environment and healt, isn't.

Does anybody feel quilty eating fresh tomatos in winter?

No.

I could say yes because my active speakers use class D amplifier modules but, given that there are 13 in each speaker, I’d only be kidding myself…

Junk mail is the major waste that really bugs me! It should be banned. I reckon I get on average about 12 items a week through my letterbox. It all goes in the bin without being looked at. Take away food leaflets are the single biggest culprit but there's also loads of others... specsavers, Lidl, Aldi, Morrisons, double glazing, estate agents, charity appeals plus others make up the rest. There's also about 2-3 large plastic bags for clothes to be given to charity on top of that... FFS how much old clothing do they think people have stashed when they are being asked to hand them over up to 3 times a week!? "yep I've found yet another bin bag full in the 3 days since I last gave you a bin bag full.... come back in a week and there will be another 2 bin bags full" NOT! At least they do as... bin bags!

The paper, the energy used in printing them, the transport costs of the raw materials and the distribution of the finished leaflets must add up to loads of money!

If you still get junk mail and some of it has return envelopes contained in it, then the best solution is as follows:

- Take the contents of company A’s junk envelope and make sure there’s nothing with your name on it. Put it into company B’s return envelope.

- Take the contents of company B’s junk envelope and make sure there’s nothing with your name on it. Put it into company A’s return envelope.

- Add any other bits of random paper, cardboard etc. you have lying around to make each envelope as heavy as you can.

- Post each one off. Remember to not attach any stamps if they are required.

The companies only have to pay for postage when the envelopes are returned as I understand it, so hitting them in the pocket where it hurts might help get the message across. Certainly I haven’t had any of this type of junk mail for a couple of years.

If only it worked for junk emails…

If you still get junk mail and some of it has return envelopes contained in it, then the best solution is as follows:

- Take the contents of company A’s junk envelope and make sure there’s nothing with your name on it. Put it into company B’s return envelope.

- Take the contents of company B’s junk envelope and make sure there’s nothing with your name on it. Put it into company A’s return envelope.

- Add any other bits of random paper, cardboard etc. you have lying around to make each envelope as heavy as you can.

- Post each one off. Remember to not attach any stamps if they are required.

The companies only have to pay for postage when the envelopes are returned as I understand it, so hitting them in the pocket where it hurts might help get the message across. Certainly I haven’t had any of this type of junk mail for a couple of years.

If only it worked for junk emails…

Myself and a few mates used to do just this when there were return envelopes supplied back in the late 80's 'cept we'd put things like twigs, dead leaves, a dead worm, an empty crisp packet etc into the envelopes!

and one less customer, not easy choice

Easy choice given the crass comment that people make as soon as a discussion like this comes up. People who make comments like that, forget that they wouldn't be here were it not for the sacrifices that their parents made to bring them into this world and bring them up.

advertisement

Back