advertisement

Do you consider power/energy usage when selecting a new kit?

Junk mail is the major waste that really bugs me! It should be banned. I reckon I get on average about 12 items a week through my letterbox. It all goes in the bin without being looked at. Take away food leaflets are the single biggest culprit but there's also loads of others... specsavers, Lidl, Aldi, Morrisons, double glazing, estate agents, charity appeals plus others make up the rest. There's also about 2-3 large plastic bags for clothes to be given to charity on top of that... FFS how much old clothing do they think people have stashed when they are being asked to hand them over up to 3 times a week!? "yep I've found yet another bin bag full in the 3 days since I last gave you a bin bag full.... come back in a week and there will be another 2 bin bags full" NOT! At least they do as... bin bags!

The paper, the energy used in printing them, the transport costs of the raw materials and the distribution of the finished leaflets must add up to loads of money!
Free bin bags. I'll have 2 a week, please. As regards "Do they get filled?" Oh yes . Why else would they dish then out? The founder of one of the companies that dish out the bags, sell the contents and give *some of* the proceeds to charity is a millionaire. He's not a mug.

Free bin bags. I'll have 2 a week, please. As regards "Do they get filled?" Oh yes . Why else would they dish then out? The founder of one of the companies that dish out the bags, sell the contents and give *some of* the proceeds to charity is a millionaire. He's not a mug.
Yep, which is why I use them for bin bags. The charity link is nil, none, FA..

Maybe one out of every 20 they dish out gets filled. The rest no doubt get used as bin bags etc.

The logistics of it say it cannot be any other way. How much waste clothing does the average person have around? Enough to fill a bin bag? Maybe if they've thrown nothing out for ages... after they've filled up one charity sack though it would likely take a couple of years before you were ready to throw out another bin bag full. meanwhile you've had 2 - 3 bags a week through the letterbox!

@Arkless Electronics totally agree regarding the volume of clothing one might throw out, can't remember the last time I threw any clothing away and when I do it's because it's f@*ked, no charity would want my cast offs :D

In the grand scheme of things it's single use plastics that boils my pi55

And in answer to the OP, I don't consider energy usage when selecting new kit

I absolutely do. There’s no need to buy the most efficient stuff around, but class A is an absolute no-go. I try to live my whole life like this: I don’t drive a fuel car anymore (put a PIH, so not fully electric yet), I eat meat only once or twice a week (so not fully veggie), I don’t buy as many clothes as I did, nothing from China, etc. I believe that if everyone would act like this, we’d get a long way to a solution for climate change…

Sure, I don't waste energy where not needed but Hifi energy wastage is minute in the greater scheme of things. It would certainly not influence my choice of product.
^^ This.

Besides, 84% of the electricity in New Zealand is generated from renewable sources. If this thread is really about climate change, we have far bigger fish to fry than worry about the electricity our hifi consumes.

Kind of.

Recently, sold my class A monos and kept the A/B ones.

Solar panels and mini splits for heating/cooling.

Surely you can't all see this as a joking matter that doesn't really require attention even from the minuscule elements on a global scale.?
Yes plastics are disgusting and is absolutely a primary concern, but our carbon indexes have many layers, even down the metals and materials being used in production including Hi-Fi.

Surely you can't all see this as a joking matter that doesn't really require attention even from the minuscule elements on a global scale.?
Yes plastics are disgusting and is absolutely a primary concern, but our carbon indexes have many layers, even down the metals and materials being used in production including Hi-Fi.
It's all skirting around the real issue of over-population and breeding, breeding, breeding, breeding and more breeding. A hifi is inconsequential when humans are knocking out offspring that will consume resources for an average of 80 years for each one.

?? Do you mean do I have kids? yes I have 1 son and 1 daughter
"Yes" would have done fine. I didn't need to know your success rate. So how many mobiles tablets, PCs, gaming machines, food, fuel, gas, electricity etc, etc will these two consume over the next 80 years or more?
More or less than an average hifi system? Just a one word answer please - more/less.
I have no intention of saving resources for somebody else's sprogs so if you want them to have the planet's resources to harvest you'll have to make your own arrangements!

I'm a single bloke living in a very energy efficient modern flat, my footprint is already miniscule so I never look at energy consumption of anything I buy.

I've also never bought anything new, not being rich 'n that.

advertisement

Back