advertisement

Do reviewers pay the full price?

zekezebra

pfm Member
Sometimes I see at the end of a review (saw one today) “the XXX was so good I bought the review sample for personal use”. Then at the end of the review there is usually the price the consumer would pay.

Does the reviewer pay this price or is there a hefty discount?

Consider that the manufacturer or distributor will give a significant trade discount when selling to a dealer. There is no dealer here, so a discount is available without the manufacturer losing out. Then consider that review samples can no longer be sold as new, so would have to be reduced anyway. Then guess the percentages that apply - I don't know, but could speculate....

I am sorry to say that some marketing directors use the product gift ploy as a bribe to get a good review and buy lots of advertising space.
It all about money and greed I have found in the last few year with TQ for example, and I am now so glad I am out of it to be honest, just wish the sods would pay me a good price for my shares without ties.

I guess the reason for asking this is that the reviewer is inferring that this unit is so good that they bought it for themselves.

However, say the consumer price is €1000 but with discount the reviewer gets it for €500 then this is not quite the glowing recommendation it appears to be.

Reviewers generally pay dealer price, i.e. between 25 - 50% off full retail. "Big names" might get a deeper discount if the manufacturer/distributor thinks that having something mentioned in reviews month after month is cheaper than advertising in any given journal. But reviewers will also get a dealer price for most other kit; buying something with your own money is still an endorsement.

Normal punters get about the same rates if they buy used so getting a trade price is not really such a big deal.

When I reviewed hifi accessories (spikes,cables,etc) I got to keep them for free. This was a few years ago though and nothing very exotic!

Didn't Ian Rankin say he gave up reviewing hi fi once he'd blagged the best gear he wanted?

I can't imagine anyone takes a subjective pro review with anything but a pinch of salt. It is a useful pointer but that is it.

Sometimes I see at the end of a review (saw one today) “the XXX was so good I bought the review sample for personal use”. Then at the end of the review there is usually the price the consumer would pay.

Does the reviewer pay this price or is there a hefty discount?

It dedepends on how good the review was :rolleyes:

There's always the option of listening to the product yourself.

Reviewers don't operate in a vacuum.

Or posting here for an unbiased views.......

Why would people think reviewers wouldn't get a deal? Trade people also look after each other. We sold one product from a range that we didn't carry. It was the only good item they did and we got it from another dealer at a discount. It helped them pay on time, put through bigger orders etc.

Next we could worry ourselves into #gamergate

Depends on wether the FULL price is considered to be the reccomended retail price, or the price they are offered the equipment for.

Everything has a value.

That value is what someone is prepared to pay for it.

Some high profile reviewers are loaned equipment, sometimes on a long term basis. Smaller manufacturers sometimes give equipment away, otherwise reviewers pay trade (some manufacturers offer a further in-trade discount for personal use).

advertisement

Back