advertisement

Do most of you trust your hearing?

Bjork67

pfm Member
I don't but am not affluent, do better off folk have better hearing? I look at reviews and what people on forums type and am flummoxed and angry at the details they see in listening.

Yes, though I learned a long time ago to go backwards and forward with any change a few times over as long a period as possible as the ‘initially impressive’ is often actually worse! I actually move very, very slowly with system changes and haven’t changed anything significant in years now.

It is only what my own ears tell me that counts, for what I hope are very obvious reasons.

As Tony though - I try to compare backwards and forwards these days, although just a very few changes have been VERY obvious, so don't take much comparison.

I only have my hearing to trust.

I don't really understand what being affluent or not has to do with it.

I do think that people listen to music in different ways.

My wife complains if I comment on a cymbal or a guitar sound (whatever) that is in the background rather than being forward as she is unable to take the music apart in her head.

She says that she listens to music as a 'whole.' I say that I can listen a piece of music as a whole thing, and /or take it apart and listen to specific parts. She thinks I am nuts.

If my daughter and I are listening to some music together, we can both refer to individual instruments. "Did you hear that blah blah blah?" etc.

I am not sure that that is what you are referring to though? Bjork67

I can only hear big improvements, which is why all the typical audiophile trinkets and snake oil don't have a home here.

In fact unless I can A/B something very quickly (30 seconds max) then I struggle hearing a lot of the stuff folks waffle on about, and generally speaking I have great hearing, just not audiophile hearing.

I trust my ears but.........
They will tell me on long listening sessions that a little Sugden A21, a 2x 7 watts tube amp or even an old AR Cambridge A60 will sound better than many over detailed monster amps that costs 10 times the price !
My ears are more about pleasure than search for infinite micro details.
Last real test I did was to compare a berilium tweeter to a soft fabric one from SB Acoustic and after 1 hour, my friend and I rejected the berilium hands down !

Sadly, It am beginning to go the way of my grandfather and father as my hearing is gradually deteriorating. Last year I suffered an ear infection in my left ear which became serious and resistant. I needed surgery and now have permanent loss in this ear.Covid has meant hearing tests are delayed for me so I’m unsure how much damage has occurred. I’m worried at the impact this will have on my longer term music listening. So my ears are becoming untrustworthy. On the positive side I may be able to get away with a cheap second had Matsui in the future so it’ll save some pennies.

Sadly, It am beginning to go the way of my grandfather and father as my hearing is gradually deteriorating. Last year I suffered an ear infection in my left ear which became serious and resistant. I needed surgery and now have permanent loss in this ear.Covid has meant hearing tests are delayed for me so I’m unsure how much damage has occurred. I’m worried at the impact this will have on my longer term music listening. So my ears are becoming untrustworthy. On the positive side I may be able to get away with a cheap second had Matsui in the future so it’ll save some pennies.

It's not a substitute for a medial hearing test, but this is quite a good online test that will at least show you the differences between the left/right ear.

Online hearing test and audiogram print out

We should always trust our own ears and not those of another. I do sometimes question my own hearing and that is where my wife and kids come in. My hearing tails off at 13 khz probably because of nearly 30 years drumming in loud bands and loud machinery in the day job.

As for the more affluent having better hearing, I am not sure about that apart from they probably don't do manual jobs with noisy machinery. Maybe those who have spent new car sums of money on hifi need to overly justify their expenditure and so exaggerate their reports. Also would be forum guru's and reviewers need to maintain their audience and ego so possibly big up their hearing as well as their equipment.

I find the psychological aspects of forum hifi nerd behaviour more interesting than the actual equipment. The music trumps it all however. If I were to be doing a psychology dissertation it would likely be on the herd mentality of hifi lovers / box swappers.

I trust my ears but not my eyes.
That is why the other day I asked not to see the bottles at the cellar.

I don’t particularly trust my ears if I’m honest. They have a few issues. Whether that translates into a reduced ability to appreciate or assess musical audio reproduction is an interesting question, but since I only have what I have (ear-wise) I have to make do.

advertisement

Back