Martin D

Libertarian Division
By that I mean:

Canon - Clean and cold
Nikon - Pleasant
Leica - creamy and romantic

Only guessed the above - comments welcome

Martin

I'm assuming you mean bodies only..? - if so, what about lenses..?

I'm particulary fond of my sigma 30mm f1.4 - need to get it fixed tho....but the colours are stunning!

No.

Different lenses give slightly different looks, but it's certainly not manufacturer specific.

There's more difference between a Nikon at 100 and 400 ISO than there is between a Canon and Nikon at 100 ISO.

Tony

Guess I'm going to be the contrarian here...

Vuk and I compared medium tele lenses a few years ago -- my Nikkor 105mm vs his Leica 90mm Elmarit. The slides shot with the Nikon glass were warmer and more saturated, the slides shot with the Cherman glass were cooler and more subtle.

Ironically, although Vuk preferred Leica's take on the world, his mastering after the fact brought the results in line with Nikon's way of seeing the world.

Joe

Vuk and I compared medium tele lenses a few years ago -- my Nikkor 105mm vs his Leica 90mm Elmarit. The slides shot with the Nikon glass were warmer and more saturated, the slides shot with the Cherman glass were cooler and more subtle.

But that doesn't demonstrate a manufacturer signature, it just indicates that different lenses look different. Which is certainly true.

Ian,

OK, but apart from an old and now yellowish 85mm f/1.8 Nikkor, I find that my Nikon glass is warm and saturated, particularly the primes. I'm not saying the signature is uniformly equal across all lenses, but Nikon strikes me as being on the slightly warm side of neutral.

Joe

OK, I'm not at all familiar with Nikon. But all the Leica lenses I've used have been very different from each other, largely depending on when they were made. Older Leitz lenses are soft and low contrast, nothing like my 60s Summicron, and the newer stuff is different again. Of the Voigtlander lenses I've used, the two wides (21 and 28) are high contrast and have smooth bokeh, the normals (35 and 50) much lower contrast and a bit ugly in OOF areas. I have three Zeiss lenses for the Blad, a wide 50, a normal 80, and a portrait 150, and they are all pretty different too, despite being of similar vintage (the wide is older, the other two about the same age), largely down to them all being very different designs, I suspect. Etc etc etc. I think all I'm saying is I'm not sure worrying about a manufacturer's signature is very worthwhile, much better to concentrate on finding equipment that best does the job you're trying to do, whether that's a specific lens for a specific task, or a format, or whatever.

Joe - if your old 85mm is yellowing, were you aware that you can reverse this by shutting the lens up with a UV blacklight for a few days? it'll get you back some of that low-light speed you've been missing, too. google or email me if you want more details.

Thanks, Rico, but my 85mm isn't so yellow that it's unusable or in need of an extended stay at a tanning salon. It was more a comment that it was the odd man out among other Nikkors I have.

Joe

advertisement

Back