advertisement

Do makers respond to emailed queries?

Jim Audiomisc

pfm Member
I have a Questyle QP1R DAP. Having forgotten any mentions in the brief 'manual' I've happily been using it with 2 x 256GB miniSD cards. Both almost full, so I wondered if ot would cope with bigger capacity cards.

Sent an email, asking. No response thus far.

However looking at the 'manual' I found that claims the max is 2 x 128GB. Yet it works with 2 x 256GB for me, so far as I can tell. So I'm puzzled, but seem unable to get an explanation.

Similarly, some time ago I emailed Benchmark about a different question wrt their ADC1. Again, no response.

Why have an email address when emails seem to vanish into a null: ? Seems weird. The products are excellent IMHO, but the makers seem 'camera shy' for some reason. Do they assume all emails are spam? If so, why publicise the address? Or is there somethings weird about my emails?

I've had decently fast replies from Aesthetix, Atacama, Cardas, Chord Electronics, dCS, Kimber, Naim, Quadraspire, SME, Sonneteer, Teddy Pardo...

I have a Questyle QP1R DAP. Having forgotten any mentions in the brief 'manual' I've happily been using it with 2 x 256GB miniSD cards. Both almost full, so I wondered if ot would cope with bigger capacity cards.

However looking at the 'manual' I found that claims the max is 2 x 128GB. Yet it works with 2 x 256GB for me, so far as I can tell. So I'm puzzled, but seem unable to get an explanation.
If it works with cards larger than 32 GB, it should be ok up to 2 TB, the max capacity using the SDXC interface. That said, the software can of course impose any arbitrary limit. Why don't you try a bigger card and see what happens? It can't cause any permanent harm.

I had a very quick response from Jonathan Billington at MFA a couple of years ago. He replied to my initial email on a Saturday afternoon which was completely unexpected.

Kudos replied promptly and helpfully to my enquiry about their preferred amplification a few years ago.

Similarly, some time ago I emailed Benchmark about a different question wrt their ADC1. Again, no response.

Why have an email address when emails seem to vanish into a null: ? Seems weird. The products are excellent IMHO, but the makers seem 'camera shy' for some reason. Do they assume all emails are spam? If so, why publicise the address? Or is there somethings weird about my emails?

Are you sure it 'see's all of the memory'.

For example, my Audi allows 128gb SD cards max, yet you can use bigger cards, it just wont see any files it chooses too over the threshold.

As mentioned, just try a bigger card, and check the index of how many files it see's to how many you put on the card.

Emailed Raal (the ribbon tweeter company) on 24th August. No response yet. That's three weeks and one day waiting, so far. :mad:

No they don’t. I emailed Linn three times about a problem with a failed treble aktiv board for my keilidhs, I got a reply eventually after a year since the first attempt, but the problem was solved by buying a set of new boards off a fellow pfm member, thanks again Stimpy your a star!

Recently a customer of mine contacted me through PFM because he thought I had not responded to his email. In fact his email programme was filing my messages in the junk folder, helpfully. Part of the problem seems to be that email has steadily become less reliable over the last 20 years. I used to trust it, but platforms which allow malware to harvest addresses, producing a vast spam industry, have effectively turned email from a reliable professional Unixy protocol into a whack-a-mole minefield, with countless irritations like message size limits, inbox size limits, authenticated SMTP, phishing attacks, required intervals between mail logins, false positive spam filtering, HTML messages, embedded resources, thread history inclusion comprising mainly corporate disclaimers, Exchange Servers, and even entirely inexplicable non-delivery without warning. The late 90's was bliss by comparison - back then email worked without fail. I don't know if the poisoning of this non-proprietory protocol was deliberate or accidental, but there are other examples of deliberate subversion of open not-for-profit standards by the usual culprit.

Manufacturers it seems vary on whether customers are important to them. On your question about whether a larger capacity mini SD card could be used. I'd stick with the lower capacity ones if I were you, my only experience is a a dap, I used the maximum recommended only to find out it did not work and had to reduce capacity, but I continually have a problem and now just use the installed memory.

Some yes, some no. Mostly yes.

Isoacoustics : No (this year)
Luxman Japan : No (this year)
Marten speakers : Yes (this year)
Chord electronics : Yes (more than 1 year ago)
Chord cable : Yes (more than 1 year ago)
Sonneteer : Yes (more than 1 year ago)
Harbeth : Yes (more than 3 years ago)
PMC : Yes (more than 3 years ago)

For me;
Rega, quick response, very helpful
Wilson Benesch, quick response, very helpful
Russell K, quick response, very helpful
Roksan, quick response, very helpful
Shahinian, quick response, very helpful
Naim, no response, not impressed having spent countless thousands over the years with them!
ABC audio, quick response, very helpful
Townshend, quick response, very helpful

If it works with cards larger than 32 GB, it should be ok up to 2 TB, the max capacity using the SDXC interface. That said, the software can of course impose any arbitrary limit. Why don't you try a bigger card and see what happens? It can't cause any permanent harm.

Main deterrent from my POV is the cost of decent > 256GB miniSD cards! I have no other use for them. What I can't tell is if Questyle have 'fiddled' with their FAT filer reading to cut back on the size occupied by software on their DAP. But failing any real info I'll give a bigger card a try sometime.

However it raised in my mind the weirdness of providing an email address but then not responding.

That said, sometimes stuff happens I guess. My old "Scots Guide" pages still have my uni email address on them. That was useful in the past for feedback and "can you cover this?" requests, etc.

But I no longer have a uni account, so can't read or reply to anything sent to that address! However the Guide isn't a business and not 'selling' anything.

Are you sure it 'see's all of the memory'.

For example, my Audi allows 128gb SD cards max, yet you can use bigger cards, it just wont see any files it chooses too over the threshold.

As mentioned, just try a bigger card, and check the index of how many files it see's to how many you put on the card.

I did wonder about that! I *think* it is seeing everything. Not checked carefully as yet, but it certainly sees and plays the new items I've been adding and I've not yet noticed any old ones going AWOL. I'll check in more detail.

advertisement

Back