advertisement

Do Japanese amps do PRAT?

....without starting the whole discussion again, I just want to add what happened to me yesterday/today and showed me how good our ear/brain works.

I was tuning a car sound system for the last weeks. Two woofers/tweeters in the front, a full range on the back seats. Tuning is done via a DSP in the head unit with 7 BiQuads (EQ) and a delay between the 4 amp channels.

With the EQ one can remove the nasty 100/250 modes you normally have in the cabin and the bass level plus some other small issues.

The rear speakers are delayed by a few mS, so they "disappear" from the front passengers and also bring the image forward for the listeners on the back seats.

Yesterday I drove with the car to the customer and had many hours of time to listen. Was OK for far, but not the timing. Not really bad, but also not spot on. During the drive, I stopped from time to time to do small adjustments in order to improve timing. No success. At the end, I started to make small changes on the delay between the front and the back speakers and suddenly, the whole thing came together. And what was the difference between OK and spot on? 0.2mS :D. That's it. I did an experiment when I arrived and ask people to listen between the two settings (tuning tools allows very easy A/B comparisons). Everybody with some experience in listening spotted the difference and we had 100% correct results. Two people (with almost no experience) heard nothing......even so we tried to explain what it was.

Of course you can measure the 0.2ms on impulse response if you try hard but it would not make ANY difference on the response together with all the reflections coming in already very early.
It's amazing that our brain obviously can very well differentiate in the time domain and cares about very small differences - somebody, who just measures the response or the "general" impulse response" could argue, the 0.2mS cannot be relevant. But they are, as I experienced (again) yesterday.......:p

Very interesting.

Even in a noisy environment such a moving car we can spot (very) small timimg differences.

I am more and more convinced of the importance of timing in music reproduction.
And I think that those who don't care about it very much may be missing a lot.

100% agree on the driver delays in an automobile. I don't think I could go back to a passive setup. It's either right or its wrong

Yes - it is interesting to note the "detectability" of such minute differences in phase.

Whether this 0.2ms phase difference can be attributed to "Timing" in the context of PRAT is probably debatable - depending upon how one defines "Timing".

Phase is a crucial component in human auditory perception of depth and left-right positioning (along with level differences between channels).

If we assume sea level then the speed of sound would be ~340 m/sec and the detectability of 0.2ms would imply the ability to perceive depth differences of 340/(1000/2) metres or approximately 0.17 meters - which makes sense in terms of the application inside a car cabin.

Isn't Nature wonderful?

yes, ear is sensitive to phase or delay, particularly from multiple sources.
Well, more than the human ear, it's basic superposition, after all a phase of 180deg = cancellation regardless of the frequency, distance or time it equates to.
I terms of timing, most people are ok with sub ms delays. Of course, timing != phase of course.

advertisement

Back