advertisement

Do I need anything more than a CCA?

alcarmichael

pfm Member
I sold my streamer a long time ago and now want another. I have a DAC I’m happy with, so would a Chromecast be a good option for me to stream Spotify or would I be better off with something more serious?

I sold my streamer a long time ago and now want another. I have a DAC I’m happy with, so would a Chromecast be a good option for me to stream Spotify or would I be better off with something more serious?
It works very well, I’d say the resolution of Spotify is a much bigger limitation than the CCA, I’d consider trying Qobuz too, it’s only £5 more a month than Spotify and sounds much better, the CCA and your DAC should be more than capable of revealing that.

I do keep getting told that the other services are better than Spotify, I was previously perfectly happy with Spotify. It’s functionality is brilliant too. I guess I do owe it to myself to try the others though...

This is where I was expecting to go. My DAC has asynchronous USB so thought a Pi would be my best bet, a bit of research here though put me on to the simpler option of the Chromecast.

I do keep getting told that the other services are better than Spotify, I was previously perfectly happy with Spotify. It’s functionality is brilliant too. I guess I do owe it to myself to try the others though...
The user interface on Spotify is excellent, as is the level of product integration, and it sounds quite decent too, but Qobuz is a big step up in sound quality, and it just got better value when they reduced the price to £14.99 a month. I’d definitely recommend giving it a try.

You could take a peek at the pi streamer thread, also a good option.
I should take a look there too, now I hope some time to burn, I should try putting together a Pi based streamer. If there’s software with proper Qobuz integration then I’m in.

This is where I was expecting to go. My DAC has asynchronous USB so thought a Pi would be my best bet, a bit of research here though put me on to the simpler option of the Chromecast.
I could be wrong but I think you'd be better off with one of the pi hats that does digital out rather than usb, and use coax or toslink. I seem to remember reading something about the pi usb not being optimal for dac use. Again though, could well be remembering that incorrectly.

Tidal is £4 for 4 months atm. Be quick, the deal has been running for a while.

I could be wrong but I think you'd be better off with one of the pi hats that does digital out rather than usb, and use coax or toslink. I seem to remember reading something about the pi usb not being optimal for dac use. Again though, could well be remembering that incorrectly.

Pi USB out works fine. If you get an Rpi4, you remove even the theoretical concern about the architecture of the earlier versions.

Nothing wrong with the CCA. I have two and found the sound good.There is no gapless playback though if that’s an issue. I use a Pi now with USB into a CA Dac. Sounds great. I do have a hat but the difference is negligible. I use Picoreplayer which IMO is the most advanced and reliable of the softwares and it gives me access to LMS server and all the streaming services I may need;very comprehensive. I also have a screen attached to my main set up which shows artwork etc. I find it more satisfying than the CCA and put it together for very little really. As you can see by other coverts in recent threads, it’s a remarkable vfm system. The interesting thing is that I don’t feel the need to look further at this time and it is a very competitive little device.The USB is a non problem.

Thank you everyone, I feel the Pi is back in the lead...
Pi is the better choice. You have more versatility, greater access to services and improved sound.No brainier really and you can put together a starter kit for about £60, even less if you already have some of the bits at home like a power supply and sd card. Use the Dac that you have or add a hat or Dac to take things further. Detractors have usually fallen at the first hurdle or haven’t the patience to pursue. Or they just prefer the standard solutions.Also some just dismiss due to its ‘techy- nerdiness.’Shame really as it’s a joy once set up.A little bit of learning.Yes.Not plug n play.Yes. Unconventional in its appearance.Yes.a bloody bargain with super potential.Absolutely. Suits my meagre wallet.

IME ripped (lossless) CDs and Tidal high-res files played through the CCA sound flat and lifeless compared to CDs through the same DAC. Hugely convenient but seems a real compromise for SQ.

Yes max quality selected in Tidal, and full dynamic range selected for the CCA. Are there any more to consider?

I found the sound quite bright and sparkly, not the last word in refinement but lively all the same. However I’m not surprised that it wouldn’t beat you CD into dac. You’ve got to remember it’s a cheap but effective solution, a starting point. Moving to the Pi was a different matter for me.

I found the sound quite bright and sparkly, not the last word in refinement but lively all the same. However I’m not surprised that it wouldn’t beat you CD into dac. You’ve got to remember it’s a cheap but effective solution, a starting point. Moving to the Pi was a different matter for me.
Nothing wrong with the sound as such, it's just a bit flat and lifeless. But yep quite right re expectations - and it's great for background music and browsing etc.

Just listening to Bonobo through Radio Paradise Flac and Pi with Justboom amp dac into vintage JOW Minims. Really impressive sound. Far from flat. I seem to remember the CCA being a little thin in tone. Similar to the AEX I began my streaming journey with.

I use an AEX through an ifi Spdif ipurifier switched from a CCA due to Amazon compatibility and couldn’t fault either for sound quality!
But appear to be one of the lucky ones on the internet who doesn’t have or claims to have Golden Ears!

advertisement

Back