advertisement

Do I need a Carl Zeiss Distagon C 40mm f/4 lens?

Does Joe need a Carl Zeiss Distagon C 40mm f/4 lens

• Hey, I thought ordered a chez burger.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Joe P

Memory Alpha incarnate | mod; Shatner number = 2
I found a Carl Zeiss Distagon C 40mm f/4 lens in absolutely magnificent condition. It's an early version — the one that's single coated as opposed to multicoated designated by T* — so I suspect flare could be an issue in some pix, but from what I can tell the lens is highly regarded in medium format quarters.

maxresdefault.jpg

I grabbed this pic off the Net, but the lens in question is truly mint as though it belonged to a collector.

The question is, is a lens that wide really useful on a 'blad? Does anyone have one or used one?

Some sample pix taken with that lens from flickr's pool: https://www.flickr.com/groups/1063486@N20/pool/

Joe

joe.

the simple rule for lenses is that if <= $750, you just buy it without thinking. sort of like the $1500 hi-fi rule.

btw -- how often do you use the camera?

Vuk,

The Hasselblad is my least used camera, partly because it's big and heavy, partly because it's not as convenient as my digital camera, and partly because the cost of film and chemicals is high enough that I think too much about each frame so don't take shots I might have otherwise taken. But the results with B&W film and my scanner are excellent, despite scanning and cleaning up pix afterward in Photoshop being painfully long and tedious.

Joe

That photo of his driveway is nearly as good as one of mine. I think I have one called "Gasometer 1988" that is nearly that good.

That photo of his driveway is nearly as good as one of mine. I think I have one called "Gasometer 1988" that is nearly that good.

1st rule of photo room:

if you don't post it, it doesn't exist.

same goes for joe.

Joe, any more chocolate box cutesy pictures of your impossibly cute cat, and i will be forced to Trek you up. You have been warned.

It's a lens i've wondered about, but never tried. What other lenses do you have? I ask as i'm pretty happy with the 50mm at the wide end, and jump from there to the 80mm. My advice would be if you want wider on a hasselblad than 80, then the 50 seems to be the best compromise. The CF version is good.

Cesare,

I have three lenses — the 50mm f/4, 80mm F2.8* and 150mm f/4. I know the 40mm is close to the 50mm in focal length, but the angle of view is quite a bit different — 40mm has a diagonal/horizontal spread of 88°/69° and the 50mm a diagonal/horizontal spread of 75°/57°.

http://imagesandcameras.com/hasselblad-lenses

I asked because I'm interested in hearing from people who've used the lens. I'm guessing few here have.

Given that I have the 50mm f/4 it's likely an unnecessary lens, but O...M...G is the copy I found in mint condition. Honestly, mint collector condition or item found in a sealed time capsule is how I'd describe it.

Joe

Last edited:
Sounds like you're the first one to be tempted to give it a go. I think the later ones have a fancy floating element to make them focus better, but I think these sorts of things only really matter if you're pixel peeping with a digital back. The only possible problem I can see with this is the weight and hence whether you'd travel with it. Anyhow, I think you need to buy it and let us know whether we should also track one down!

advertisement

Back