advertisement

Do I Have Too Much Music?

Storage and organisation is the key. If I had the space I could happily keep on adding to the collection without a worry. I love a good library or archive so a room of wall-to-wall records is my idea of heaven!

Here's Joe Bussard with some records.

Dust_and_Grooves_.jpg

It was only while I went through the laborious task of cataloguing my whole collection on Discogs that I realised I had albums I couldn't remember - or what they contained. I got rid of a few, but nowhere near enough. Before I knew it, they'd been replaced with a bunch of new albums.

At some point I know I'll need to let all of them go to someone who 'might' continue to love and appreciate them (and that's a whole new topic). Until then, I really need to do some pruning...

I keep thinking I need to catalogue all of mine on Discogs as well to make some sense of what I have and what to prune, but I'm put off by the sheer effort of doing it all and just end playing another record instead. :(

It took me two months. I was helped by the fact that I'd already compiled them onto a spreadsheet 20 years ago, and kept on top of it. That made cataloguing easier.

The advantage is that you get to dig out albums you'd forgotten about and play them whilst Discogging :) The downside is you get reminded of other albums and you end up buying more...

A few years ago I got rid of about 300 Cds that I had listened to once and had no intention of playing again. I have not missed them.

That said, I now have at least as many as I did then and, again, there must be some I will not listen too again. If space becomes an issue, I will have another cull.

I did that recently, whenever I go to the store I sold them to I contemplate buying some of them back - I think it's terminal.

Is it just me?

I wouldn't worry about it TBH. These days, I find myself busier than ever with work and other responsibilities and all this stuff keeps me away from the hi-fi. I buy tons of music and some of it is unplayed, but not through choice. I have no plans to thin it down, because eventually, things will change and I will have more spare time on my hands. Nothing to feel guilty about and TBH, I quite enjoy being the curator of the collection, the cataloguing and the cleaning. Obviously, I buy the music with the full intention of playing it; it's just that life gets in the way!

As someone who owns a lot of music, I have come to the conclusion that the sheer number detracts from my capacity to give each and every album its due attention and focus and therefore reduces my appreciation of them.

But, still, I keep buying because there's more stuff I'd like to listen to...although owning a huge library of music is no longer something I'd aspire to.

Collecting is a 'disease' and one I certainly have, but there's no real harm in it as long as you don't get all OCD over it. So what if you never listen to something you buy, my attitude is friends and family might pull it out and have a listen at some point anyway. That said I am in the process of downsizing my CD collection a little simply due to space constraints. About to off load circa 5000 CDs to the local charity shops so everyone's a winner.

I wouldn't worry about it TBH. These days, I find myself busier than ever with work and other responsibilities and all this stuff keeps me away from the hi-fi. I buy tons of music and some of it is unplayed, but not through choice. I have no plans to thin it down, because eventually, things will change and I will have more spare time on my hands. Nothing to feel guilty about and TBH, I quite enjoy being the curator of the collection, the cataloguing and the cleaning. Obviously, I buy the music with the full intention of playing it; it's just that life gets in the way!

Yep.. I thought that things would change when I retired. They didn't.. and like many others I find myself wondering how I ever found the time to go to work. Sitting about listening to music for any length of time remains a distant dream.

Storage and organisation is the key. If I had the space I could happily keep on adding to the collection without a worry. I love a good library or archive so a room of wall-to-wall records is my idea of heaven!

Here's Joe Bussard with some records.

Dust_and_Grooves_.jpg

I have nothing to add to the thread other than to say that really is a great shot :)

I keep thinking I need to catalogue all of mine on Discogs as well to make some sense of what I have and what to prune, but I'm put off by the sheer effort of doing it all and just end playing another record instead. :(

I intended to discog my vinyl over a week or so. Quiet Sat. night and went thru the night doing it - about 1000 pieces including 12"s.

Not recommended, but I became quite obsessive. Was buggered. Worth it tho'.

With CD's I took longer.lol

I intended to discog my vinyl over a week or so. Quiet Sat. night and went thru the night doing it - about 1000 pieces including 12"s.

Not recommended, but I became quite obsessive. Was buggered. Worth it tho'.

With CD's I took longer.lol

Fcku me, it took me yonks with the records, only had about 850 then, reduced to 550 now.

Bloss

I have three large bags of CDs upstairs in the 'study' gathering dust, hundreds of CDs and LPs I never play and many duplicates. It's crazy.

Yep.. I thought that things would change when I retired. They didn't.. and like many others I find myself wondering how I ever found the time to go to work. Sitting about listening to music for any length of time remains a distant dream.

Well, obviously I don't know about your personal circumstances, but I fully intend to make time to listen to some music when I retire. I'll do other stuff too of course, but I've done my bit and I think it's about time that I had some time to myself!

Guilty as charged....loads of vinyl, cds and tapes..and a hard drive full of stuff. For me it's a kind of trophy habit, I went to Copenhagen and just had to come back with something. (a nice mint presence on factory)
A stack of Kalaxes stuffed with vinyl takes my breath away.

Decimated my lps and cds and my music is now fluid , if I don't play something for a while then it goes.

I don't like calling my lps and cds a collection because I am not a collector , the discs are for playing music that I like , not a hoard of stuff.

Decimated my lps and cds and my music is now fluid , if I don't play something for a while then it goes

Trouble is, that this is a recurring topic here on pfm and people will have their own fixed views, which is fair enough. I still say not to feel guilty about having stuff, just because other people have a different view point. If you want to slim your music down, then go ahead, but I'll not be doing that TBH.

advertisement

Back