advertisement

Do DSD capable valve DACs exists?

fred sonnen

pfm Member
I do like what valves are doing with music. Today I have Croft Pre and PowAmps.
I'm thinking of an intermediate step on the way to J. Westlake FDAC (2020,2021).
The goal is anyhow, to reduce the box count. From todays 3x PowAmps activ speaker solution to a Hypex activ speaker solution solution. Speaker stays the same ;-)
So the idea is to buy a DSD capable valve DAC .
Must be:
  • loss-free volume control
  • balanced outputs
  • balanced Headphone input
  • DSD capable
  • black
  • asyncron USB port
The source is a PC with flac and DSD files.
Since only as a thought model / interim solution thought the limit is 1500 EUR. Gladly used too.
Are there any useful suggestions on the subject? ( And please NO! FDAC/ J. Westlake discussions!)
Thank you

One way to add valve goodness (=another man's distortion) to any solid state DAC is to use a valve buffer between the DAC and the preamp. Eastern Electric made one that I had in my system shortly a few years ago. My non-DSD Line Magnetic 502CA has an option to introduce valve sound in the output stage (or what it is called)

Take a look at Lampizator. May well be out of budget though. You might find a suitable model used.

Buy any DSD DAC you like, pay someone to convert output stage to valve. I’m not sure why you feel it has to be valve based though?

The two simplest and most cost-effective solutions: valve preamp buffer or modified output stage.

Simple answer – yes. The Pro-Ject DAC Box RS would appear to do most of what you want at a price within your budget - £799. Can’t claim it does everything but your list is very specific.

I’ve been quite impressed by Pro-Ject products from the point of view of build quality, functionality, style and value for money. I’m surprised they don’t get much attention among PFM members.

Virtually all "Valve DAC's" are just a valve buffer (cathode follower) on the end of an ordinary solid state DAC..
An actual valve DAC could be done I guess but would likely need a suitable garage to house it and have no advantages over a solid state one... it's just 1's and 0's whilst it's in digital domain after all.

An actual valve DAC could be done I guess but would likely need a suitable garage to house it and have no advantages over a solid state one... it's just 1's and 0's whilst it's in digital domain after all.

I guess this is how it would look like:

48a27b1f7b412081a3443ca3c1aaf0d2--computer-technology-electro.jpg

You have a valve buffer from iFi you can place between the dac and the amp for the added tube distortion.

I spent a couple of years and a small fortune investigating tube buffers, including balanced ones. It is with a heavy heart I must conclude that they are unnecessary.

I owned a very high end $30k tube amplification chain. It has been successfully replaced with $10k solid state equipment - quad mono - with no regrets.

advertisement

Back