advertisement

Do digital audio players sound different?

You can not listen to a graph!!!. Can measurements tell you when the strings on a piano are being played/struck at 10c or 25c? or is the piano carouser itself is cold? you can definitely hear the difference....

I only represent equipment that measures really well, where the designer’s foremeost concern is sound quality, I don’t sell foo.
Keith

I only represent equipment that measures really well, where the designer’s foremeost concern is sound quality, I don’t sell foo.
Keith

I can't find 'foo' in the dictionary, which means its not actually a word. So you are making up words now as well.

As you said yourself, never trust a salesperson.

Foo is a well known term (that may be hurtful to some) on PFM. The following search query with Google:

has 1,010 results:

32408403957_07bd4a1e51.jpg

The first result is a thread entitled 'foo', with 67 replies, from 2013:

Didn't mean to derail this thread but it's kind of a shit show.

Nope still cant find it in a dictionary which generally means it dosen't exist. No proof. Kieth loves having proof of everything, so I am absolutely flabbergasted that he would use a word that dosen't exist!

As he said, never trust a salesperson. They just tell lies...apparently.

Nope still cant find it in a dictionary which generally means it dosen't exist. No proof. Kieth loves having proof of everything, so I am absolutely flabbergasted that he would use a word that dosen't exist!

As he said, never trust a salesperson. They just tell lies...apparently.

"Dosen't" doesn't exist and I'm flabbergasted that you would use it!

"Dosen't" doesn't exist and I'm flabbergasted that you would use it!

God I'm not. I'm terrible at spelling and grammar, I've pointed it out quite a few times. Joys of dyslexia I'm afraid. Useless at it. I just don't claim there is scientific proof that I'm actually good at it lol

Last edited:
I can only share my own experience, having recently gone from a Sonos connect to Allo Kali to Digione Signature, all connected via spdif to the same DAC they all sound different, and incrementally better. I actually found it easier to discern differences than I have previously with DAC’s.

So clock upgrades to digital transports are a waste of time and money then?

It’s not what I’ve heard.

I'm sure the Genki and Ikemi (Linn) both share near-identical innards, yet there are subtle differences which sonically (or for marketing purposes, whatever) justified a price tag roughly ×2. Second hand prices are now even further apart such that a Genki can be had for £350; an Ikemi £850. I wonder how the measurements would compare but if I can get Ikemi quality and sound reproduction now £350 Genki money, then happy days. I have no idea technically how Linn achieved the amazing sound of the Ikemi, but they did.

I've recently swapped clocks, and added regulators to split the three rails to my dac. All clearly audible. There were utterly carp clocks though.

Carp/ crap. They were £2 clocks.

Hard to pin down Keith as quite a few changes were rolled in quite a short period of time. Most noticeable was that the sense of ease and flow that I'd grown accustomed to on the piano playing of Agnes Obel's The Curse was replaced with a more measured playing, less swing more military march, in small measures though.

Maybe a touch of grain lifted off the whole thing. More polish if you like? Not night and, but noticeable, repeatable via swaps. I couldn't tell the crystek cchd957 and the ndk-sa clocks apart. So kept the ones I liked the look of most.

The changes were modest compared to splitting out the three dac chip rails.

Did some one say...piano carouser...

Whats going on with Monty Montgomery's beard, i'd never trust a man who can't grow a beard and mustache combo, The mustache is always the best bit, it's like a Jaffacake without the orange jelly.

(and i can't tell if his head is the right way up, or upside down?)

Grow back the Tache!

monty-headshot.1000x563.jpg

advertisement

Back